How much money would it take

I don’t get it. Look, it passes straight through the earth, you’re not going to be able to store it in a gas bag, and it’s not a gas.

(P.S. The polarization of light indicates it behaves as a solid.)

3 Likes

Yeah, I suppose we could put it in Æther place.

4 Likes

Æther-tainly can.

2 Likes

And what’s with the pretentious ligatures and the bunnies?

Aether comes from Latin and ultimately from Greek, so the Ae is a straightforward Ai.

Who would ever let facts get in the way of a series of bad puns?

4 Likes

I would take my chances on the Titanic II and wouldn’t need any enticement beyond a free all-inclusive ticket.
Gilded-age first-class ocean travel doesn’t exist anymore and it’s something I’d like to experience. It doesn’t necessarily top my list of things I’d time-travel for, but it’d be on the list.

The trouble is, today’s gilded society really sucks. I guess rich people have always sucked, but they’ve gotten lazy about it. They don’t hide anything anymore. They don’t even wear formal evening dress to dinner in the first-class lounge.

So while I’d go, I already know I’d be disappointed. It’s going to be all rich assholes wearing garish golf shirts, baggy jeans, and flip-flops to dinner.

5 Likes

All right.

Question#2.

How much money would it take to make you watch this movie?:

Myself, I think I’d hold out for at least a few thousand dollars.

5 Likes

Meh. I have paid to see worse.
These days though… I could use a new Laptop maybe $3k to get one with all the gaming bells and whistles on it?

6 Likes

This one definitely going to have surge pricing on it.

Random evening when I’ll take any excuse to get out, $20 and pick up my concession tab.

Middle of a productive day? Easily upper three digits to the left of the decimil.

5 Likes

Looks too shiny, in a kind of metaphorical sense. Like they’re trying too hard. It’s like some exec says, “Wup, hows about that Dr. whatzizname’s Gringo Steals Easter, or whatever it for a hollyday movie?” And the minions do as they’re told, and do a really bang-up snazzy job of animating a story we all know – a redo that isn’t needed.

2 Likes

My feeling is that any adaptation of How the Grinch Stole Christmas! that has non-rhyming dialogue is an insult to the late, great Dr. Seuss.

The Chuck Jones/Boris Karloff adaptation, on the other hand, is a perfect example of how to do an adaptation: keep everything that defines the original, while adding things that the original was prevented by its medium from having (while keeping the additions in the spirit of the original).

Which isn’t surprising, given that Seuss was involved in its production.

4 Likes

Plus Karloff was freaking perfect casting. That wonderful baritone, his legacy of playing horror film characters… couldn’t get better.

But they keep trying. Sigh.

5 Likes

I had the sound off, as I just wanted to watch the animation, so missed this. For goodness’ sake, that’s ridiculous. That’s half the charm right there.

4 Likes

Yeah, if they had just updated the animation of '66 and found someone new to read it, I would have considered it pointless but watchable. But you’re right. That’s exactly what it’s missing: the charm.

4 Likes

I misread the title on the second clip, which gave me a momentary vision of a Revolutionary War film featuring the Grinch as Benedict Arnold…

5 Likes

Since we are talking about a movie by Illumination Entertainment, this took a moment to interpret, and I had the brief notion that it was going to be a cross-over. Which would increase my price considerably.

6 Likes

Unintentional. Maybe subliminal.

2 Likes

I like Cumberbatch a lot but I’m not sure what he was thinking with this. I can’t really even imagine he got paid all that much for it. Which means that on some level, it’s something he wanted to do. I guess they couldn’t afford Hugh Laurie doing his House voice. Or, you know, a talented American voice actor if they really needed the American accent.

3 Likes

Mortgage payments or something like that.

4 Likes

Yeah. He must have gotten used to pulling down Marvel money. A shame that’s over for him now.

3 Likes