I Can't Stop Playing Guild Wars 2

I’m really not liking this Claw Island story. The zombie zerg rush mechanic is astoundingly frustrating since you can’t tell they’re respawning until you’re up to your ass in them. Especially in that quest objective where you have to revive someone in the middle of a pile of respawns.

But that’s a small annyoance compared to using those fucking turrets. (Maybe it’s different for the other orders?)

Thankfully I’m on the last quest in that chain. Then I get to go back to what I like the most in the game: Finding shit.

2 Likes

That quest was the worst. I lost connection halfway through the dragon fight and had to restart the entire hour long sequence.

1 Like

That would be time to Hulk out on your keyboard

2 Likes

Speaking of hulking out on your keyboard: Man, mob mechanics at lvl80 are some serious bullshit. For a game where dodging is vital to survival, having your toon be at the center of mob zerg rushes where half of them do AoE knockdown attacks means the game is taking the core mechanic they’ve taught you from level 1 and telling you to go fuck yourself.

HoT being set on a series of small cliffs didn’t do much to make me like this either. PoF seems to have reeled in that though so we’ll see if I rage quit or not.

2 Likes

I haven’t completed Heart of Thorns (currently enamoured with Warframe - prepping for expansion) but I do plant to return to it by the end of this week.

Between the damn-near instagibbing bosses, cheesable fights (The Mouth, oh gods, The Mouth), and centaur charge rushes… Lots of anger. After Warframe, the control scheme seems purposely abtiquitated. Having to switch to first person just to platform, ugh.

2 Likes

OTOH the gliding is really helping me scratch that exploration itch.

1 Like

Two months of playing;

1. Never ever do the final boss battles if you want to keep liking the game. I believe that the French term for them is, “Le Fucking Bullshit.”
  2. Revenants in HOT might as well be named “Backflips Off Cliffs Person”
  3. The secret to Elementalists is not to slide away, it’s to slide past. The AI is dumb, takes time to figure out where you went and will walk straight along your fire line and into your flame breath.
  4. Crit build P/P Thieves are the shizznit.
  5. Rytlock is the best NPC.
2 Likes

Other observations:

• First-person makes platforming easy, but good luck kiting
  • Tank controls are bullshit
  • Just because you can use all classes to melee doesn’t mean you should
  • Taking a hiatus will leave you stumbling around like a drunk
1 Like

I don’t know why people poo-poo dual pistols thief. They can’t take a hit. They should stand back.

I swapped my Sylvari revenant out of HOT to go finish off the Zaitan story that I rage quit on my Asuran thief because that one underwater quest. Revenant attacks are all flippy floppy things that inevitably put you over a cliff in HOT. While I already had a glider it still put me out of bounds whenever it happened in an instance and made it hard to race back to the group events before they moved on.

Which is a pity because I like how HOT is playing with a Sylvari more than I did when I ran a human through it.

Also spoiler for the Season 3 story that I just started last night though you probably did it;

At Eir’s wake you have the option of dancing in her memory. The Ausra, of course, do The Robot on the /dance command. It kind of deflated the seriousness of the instance and I bellowed a hearty LoL. I’m assuming the rest of the racial dances are equally inappropriate.

ETA: They are.

1 Like

I decided to get smart this week and pay attention to what the traits were actually providing instead of following the build advice of the game forums because of two things. First, my level 80s were struggling despite being a hot buttered popcorn build that I found, and secondly realizing those builds were all meant for raids, dungeons and generally working with others.

Noticing that the thief get a lot of benefits from crits, including health regen, I decided to gear for that. A huge change in his survivability since P/P now usually gets everything super dead before they can get close and all of his health comes back at the same time. The downside is it’s a very glassy build since vitality had to make way for precision and ferocity. If I back into some baddies he’s going down. The instagib bosses will one shot him. Once I get Daredevil filled out I’ll see if the extra dodge will help with that.

On my ranger main I noticed that they get a lot of bleeds and poisons. It doesn’t kill nearly as quickly, but it keeps my alive since I can let the bleeds and poisons do damage while I focus on getting out of the way of the multiple AoE attacks coming in. I don’t have the twitch reflexes needed to mash attacks while dodging so it really helps with survivability. Seoulbeast seems really tailored for this since merging can give you a huge bonus to condition damage.

Now I’m trying to figure out the Revenant. I’ve been playing it like a warrior since the energy costs are way too high and I’m not finding using their utilities useful enough to offset the frequent inability to fight when I do. I might just stick with Power + Vitality and try to win the health depletion race.

2 Likes

Even when it’s not supposed to be, I like making every class a crit build. Much more exciting, and so dangerous. :slight_smile:

The sigils and runes allow for a lot of customization. I usually run support in raid, so I have a full set of Mercy. Somebody has to medic. Sometimes you find downed players in the weirdest places.

2 Likes

Yeah, I found a couple of 60% bleed chance sigils on the auction house that I slammed into the shortbow and axe. It’s very satisfying to see those numbers fly off.

2 Likes

Two Tibs a’Whisker! Wait, that was Tybalt. Nevermind.

I came to dislike pretty much all the Destiny’s ̶C̶h̶i̶l̶d̶ Edge NPCs for their petty bickering.

I’m still fond of the Bear shaman in the cave in the Nord starting zone.

2 Likes