I know it's Texas, but why are people not more freaked out about this?

And to answer the topic itself as a question:

Because there’s SO MUCH TO FREAK OUT ABOUT and some of us are getting exhausted.

6 Likes

Why are people so surprised at this? It happens all over the country. The bigger problem, if you’re concerned about actual religious freedom, is that fundamentalist churches actually promote adopting non-Christian children for the specific purpose of raising the heathens to be Christians instead. This is one of the main drivers for international adoption. (Another is sainthood: people have actually tried to return children who weren’t as sick or disabled as they’d been led to believe, because they wouldn’t look as angelic to their congregations.)

In fact, fundamentalist Christianity is the backbone of the adoption industry in the U.S. They want women to suffer, and families to be pulled apart, and bastards to be brought up in “good Christian homes”. It’s all part of the same plan.

Conversely, in Muslim countries, adoption is a very different procedure. If you take in a child, you are required to raise them in the religion of their family of origin, even if it isn’t yours. And they do not lose their name, or connection to their family…they simply GAIN an additional family. The rules are focused on the child’s welfare, not the desires of the adults to get what they want.

16 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting, I won’t ask why I hadn’t heard that before, as I think I already know, but that’s. Yes.

1 Like

Which means the Muslims and Atheists can discriminate against the “Christians” to prevent kids from being raised in mentally abusive homes! The law will go both ways!

Can’t wait to see “Christian” heads explode when they find that out.

3 Likes

Christianist.

8 Likes

I’m not sure that it’s just Muslim countries - I think this might be another case, like healthcare, or firearms control, where there is the US, then waaaaaaaaaaay over there -----------------> is the rest of the world.

4 Likes

…where the theofascist majority will almost certainly uphold it, just as they’ll uphold Trump’s travel ban when it gets there.

Gorsuch is the bastard who led the push for Hobby Lobby.

9 Likes

From “The March of Folly” (1984), by Barbara W. Tuchman, page 384:
“The Turkish Janissaries were the better-known military arm of a larger body–the Kapi Kullari, or Slave Institution–which filled every civil post from palace cook to Grand Vizier. Made up of Christian children taken from their parents and brought up and exhaustively trained by the Ottoman Turks for official functions in what may have been the most complete educational system ever devised, they were legally slaves of the Sultan, converted to Islam, forbidden to have families or own property.”

2 Likes

I’m not even a lawyer; the problems with laws promoting discrimination are just so glaringly obvious.

5 Likes