I went on a trip! (travel stories)

So, earlier this year my employer sent me on a trip to South Korea. It was a working trip, I had weekends and evenings off and the company is good about things generally. They put me up in Dongtan 1 but I had to taxi to the factory every day. I got to see that 60 mile stretch of countryside in various routes as the drivers tried to get around traffic. Pictures to come.

6 Likes

from what was tallest building in the world for a hot second ten years ago. Some big buildings away down there.

8 Likes

Crowd control:

6 Likes

I’m surprised by the “do not lean” signs! In Toronto, they have a glass floor in the CN tower you can stand/lie/jump on and get some pretty awesome pics, and they’ve clearly made sure it’s not going to break from that. But it’s still crystal clear to take pics through.

Wouldn’t it be better to use stronger transparent materials than mess up the view with those giant warnings?

Otherwise, looks like a fun trip, and a beautiful place!

4 Likes

There is a sort of three-story indoor mall. The glass railings are for the escalators. It was such a great abstract composition I had to get it. Also SK is big on signs.

Here’s the view through the glass floor:

5 Likes

Amazing! And just what I was referring to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a very tall building.

2 Likes

Seoul has great subways but the rest of the country goes by bus and car.

4 Likes

Do not want.

I am not someone who is generally afraid of heights, but standing over an apparent empty void at that distance breaks my brain. Even the photo makes my stomach turn a little.

Also, the general uniformity of parts of the skyline makes me both happy and sad…

Also also, thanks for sharing. Please share more if you’d like to.

6 Likes

Views from my hotel:

6 Likes

Looking toward Dongtan 2 across the green space between Dongtan 1 and Dongtan 2:

I thought those photos were better.

4 Likes

I particularly like the one with the reflection that makes it look like the whole city is inside, with a roof and walls and a giant plant. Like looking down from the interior balcony of an arcology at the buildings and streets down on the ground floor.

5 Likes

Triskedecephilia:

5 Likes

Trees in the city:

5 Likes

That third one is awesomely Bladerunner-esque!

2 Likes

Escalator + shopping cart is just an engineering problem that takes up the entire side of the building:

2 Likes

There’s a couple of places in Toronto that use those, it’s pretty ingenious how those work, though they do require some effort, so there’s always an elevator nearby for folks that don’t feel they can give the carts the “shove” that’s required on the escalator.

2 Likes

No shove needed. The brake on the back wheels engaged pretty smoothly as far as I remember.

4 Likes

There is/was a Target in Bloomfield Twp., MI that was a two-story Showcase movie theater-plex when such things existed. Last time I was there, they had this:

3 Likes

We have a second story Safeway nearby with one of those. It also has a special track for the cart.

1 Like