ICQ is shutting down after almost 28 years

ICQ was started in 1996 by Israeli company Mirabilis, which AOL bought in 1998. ICQ grew to 100 million registered users at one point, at least according to a 2001 release from Time Warner, which had bought AOL a year earlier in a famously doomed merger. AOL sold the service to Digital Sky Technologies, the firm that owned VK, then known as Mail.ru, in 2010.

I would have joined sometime in '96 or '97 (UIN 268078). I switched to AIM sometime in college a few years later, largely because my account was successfully phished away from me. It was a great way (or at least seemed like one at the time) to keep in touch with some people back in the days before social media was a thing. I have no illusions that it has existed as anything other than a brand for many years, but its official passing is notable nonetheless.

4 Likes

Well, that brings back some memories. I used ICQ for a long while, until they started trying to make a quick buck by shoving advertisements everywhere they could (including bundling adware in the installer). Even kept my account running for a while longer with a Jabber/XMPP gateway so I could talk to the few contacts I had who were still on there.

4 Likes