"If this isn't nice..." A space for happy moments

'Twasn’t a big deal for her. Her grandkids go to school just across the border in San Ysidro, and she says that there’s always so much food around with school functions and donuts and whatnot that her daughter brings home from work. She asked if I could help dispose of some of it when it comes around, and I eagerly agreed. MMMMM-MMMMM.

8 Likes

You?

4 Likes

I just finished my first al fresco dinner of the year on my balcony. This also involved trying out the new, folding balcony furniture I got.

The folding table is a PITA to set up, so I may just bring it inside unfolded and keep it that way for the season. (The whole point of the folding furniture is that I can keep it inside when I’m not using it, so the #$@!!!&$#!!! chickadees that nest above the balcony can’t shit on it like they did my old balcony furniture.)

The folding comfy chair was very easy to unfold, so I will fold it up again when I get the energy to return inside.

The meal was quick to make and yummy (mushroom, ham, and brie omelette with a side of asparagus, white wine), and I managed to be co-ordinated enough to enjoy it while the food was still hot. I even remembered a light coaster to put on top of my wine glass so bugs couldn’t get in – not that there seem to be bugs out yet.

I’m all contented right now.

17 Likes

Whatever your personal feelings about the moderators, try and keep it civil. :wink:

15 Likes

This isn’t @ChickieD. Distant relations at most.

13 Likes

Hey, it’s her balcony, not the White House Correspondent’s Dinner. :rofl:

15 Likes

The last six months at work has been pretty unpleasant. Today was gross- it started poorly and got worse as it went.

And then.

And then a friend offered and made me an egg cream. And that made my afternoon a bit better. Thanks, friend.

13 Likes

What sort of job do you have?

5 Likes

I do Instructional design in higher education.

6 Likes

Sounds like it could be interesting.

6 Likes

It could be.

4 Likes

Live hummers! Maybe not all the time . . . .

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/50/West_Texas_Hummingbirds/

2 Likes

Excellent. I love the Cornell Lab bird ID App.

3 Likes

Had an “executive briefing” down in the city today.

It started off good in that I made the right call taking Metra in as the co-worker who lives “near-ish” me drove in and was 45 minutes late.

The destination was maybe a mile walk from Union Station, so that was a comfortable stroll that got me there maybe 15 minutes ahead of the meet and greet.

The briefing was actually useful and has me thinking about a whole new solution set for some things.

The walk back along the river walk was divine

And now
It’s Pimm’s o’clock

13 Likes

You are living the Dr. Bob Hartley dream.

10 Likes

You may not have won the internets today, but you have definitely won deep admiration from me. Well done, sir!

6 Likes

Now that I have cleaned it up a bit more (read: scrubbed/swept away the chickadee guano), I have been spending more time on my balcony.

It seems the more I am out here, the less the chickadees are liable to use it as a restroom. Apparently the hydro wires in front of my building are a major cruising area for chickadees looking to get some action.

I saw one pair do it right on the hydro line this morning. Then a few minutes ago this male rejected the female who answered his chirps – guess she wasn’t his type.

Even though it’s raining, the balcony is sheltered enough I can sit and enjoy the fresh air. And the chickadee antics. So long as they don’t poop on my stuff.

12 Likes

What is a “hydro wire?”

Power lines for hydroelectric energy?

5 Likes

That’s about right. I don’t actually know if the electricity is created hydroelectrically, but so much of it is 'round these ways it’s virtually synonymous. The utility provider is called Toronto Hydro, for instance.

6 Likes

Hydro3

8 Likes