"If this isn't nice..." A space for happy moments

Any time soup is involved, the holy trinity of onions, carrots and celery MUST be the base!!

7 Likes

If we’re swapping broth recipes, all Japanese cooking is based on varying amounts of water, soy sauce, sugar, mirin (a sweet, low-alcohol sake), actual sake, dashi (tuna stock) and konbu (dried kelp seaweed).

Teriyaki? Up the sugar and soy sauce, lower the water (maybe add honey instead of more sugar, if you want it to glaze for a BBQ). Oden? Up the water, sake and mirin. Nabe? Up the dashi, soy sauce and konbu, add some miso. Sukiyaki? Heavy on the soy, sugar, mirin and sake, less of everything else.

Japanese cooking is deceptively simple. It’s really just finding the right balance of the same base ingredients.

For bonus points, you can completely replace the tuna stock and make it vegan, if you simmer some konbu with some shimeji and shiitake mushrooms for a few hours to make a good stock.

10 Likes

“Plane crash” is the kind of thing you hear and just wince.

But everybody survived the actual landing, and local civilians rushed right in to save the passengers. The US Navy was also in the right place at the right time to help with the effort.

12 Likes

The 737 has only done two no-casualty water landings, but it is supposed to be one of the easiest-to-land of the middling-big airliners. Something about the the way the ground effect is just right, not too much and abrupt (and thick) but enough that the pilot knows exactly where the ground is.

8 Likes

My sister just popped over to say hi and stayed for dinner. It’s so nice to have someone unexpectedly turn up to help. Thanks, sis.

15 Likes

It was a pleasure to meet and spend a coupla hours with @Wanderfound yesterday arvo on his way to the ferry to Tasmania. He didn’t seem to mind too much that thanks to my inability to get out of bed early before work, lack of planning and busier-than-usual workload, I hadn’t showered or finished the housework and had to keep abandoning him to go do work stuff! Thanks for dropping by :blush:

17 Likes

Yeah!!! iRL meetups!!!

12 Likes

It was a first for me! 7/10 (only because of me, as mentioned above), would do again.

12 Likes

My old discussion board had lots of IRL meetups and it was the best. We are all still good friends. I just spoke with one of those people 2 days ago.

10 Likes

this is a first, innit??

4 Likes

In Australia? Not sure.I feel like there was another meetup there, years ago.

5 Likes

no, i mean for this group, the Cafe.

3 Likes

I’ve met a few people on this site.

6 Likes

This dude, it was not his time.

8 Likes

Shoutout to the cool young lady cosplaying Arthur who stopped in at work yesterday. Cosplay is awesome.

9 Likes

Which Arthur? The cartoon character? The King? The bathrobe-wearing space traveller?

9 Likes

this new Bruce Springsteen song was clearly with Roy Orbison in mind, but Bruce does a beautiful job.

3 Likes

10 Likes

The Smart & Final supermarket where I do some of my shopping recently started stocking Earl Grey tea, both Bigelow (expensive) and a brand called Ambiance (not so expensive).

Not a big deal to some, but…finally my favorite tea, in hermetically-sealed-for-freshness packets. And so much less harsh on my stomach lining than the low-grade Bally’s black tea I’d been buying.

I am so pleased with my tea today.

15 Likes

Is it hot earl grey?

5 Likes