"If this isn't nice..." A space for happy moments

or Earl Grey, hot?

8 Likes

Sorry, no. Iced and sweet.

My mom used to do an iced tea that was a 50/50 blend of Constant Comment and Lipton (tasty, I remember), and the tradition stuck with me, though my preference is 100% Earl Grey.

Still, on my budget, little pleasures like this are important.

7 Likes

The tea that judges you.

9 Likes

7 Likes
6 Likes

Iā€™ll be the first to admit itā€™s a shame I do not make it so.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Tea! Of the FUTURE!

7 Likes

I GOT MY SETTLEMENT CHECK! ITā€™S GONNA BE A PITTANCE AFTER I PAY BACK SOME FOLKS, BUT ITā€™S A PITTANCE I DIDNā€™T HAVE YESTERDAY!!!

In December 2017, I was forced to leave my job at the craft store due to the bi-lateral carpal tunnel syndrome I developed there from lifting too many heavy things w/out proper equipment; I didnā€™t find another job until August 2018.

The checkā€™s for $3,686.00 I owe my old weed dealer $300 (if heā€™s even going to talk to me) and my musical partner more than I could ever pay back, but heā€™s gonna get $1500. Thatā€™ll leave me with $1,886. So maybe not a pittance.

19 Likes

Very happy to hear this! Great news!

partay-animal

13 Likes

What kind of music?

8 Likes

And sometimesā€¦

8 Likes

Nice.

And a little weird, because I woke up today with that song on my mind.

8 Likes

On this date 30 years ago, my son and I experienced our first day without alcoholic beverages. Yep, this was before the fetal-alcohol syndrome studies came outā€¦like six months, LOL! I drank perhaps the alcoholic equivalent of a case of beer during my pregnancy (which was 10 months). And when he and I were to be discharged from the hospital, I asked the nurse about drinking - all Iā€™d had was IV drugs and some Tylenol-3s or 4s - she said, ā€œOh yeah, beerā€™s good for your milk!ā€

(Yes, Iā€™m aware that my drinking may or maynā€™t have begot my sonā€™s problems, but when I look at my family history, I think eccentricity. aka ASDs, runs in the family on both mine and his dadā€™s sides, lol.)

12 Likes

Congratulations!

Your post made me look up ā€œThe Broken Cordā€, because I thought I read it in college, which would have been quite a bit more than 30 years ago, but I see that it was published when you say (1989).

That was the book that made me realize that a brother I grew up with probably had FAS.

Youā€™ve done a good thing for yourself and your son, to deal with that demon so long ago.

11 Likes

1 case = 24 bottles of beer? At like what, 4.5%?

So less than one a week? Thatā€™s below the UK guidelines (kind of, they are in dispute):

A standard size bottle of American beer will come in at 1 UK ā€œalcohol unitā€ or less.

I donā€™t think you need to feel guilty about one caseā€™s worth stretched over a whole pregnancy.

13 Likes

I drank pina coladas and margaritas - the bar my 1st-ex-husband-father-of-my-son and I patronized had just gotten a machine that made them like Slurpees, lol.

Now remembering how many I had over the course of a weekā€¦I honestly canā€™t. Maybe it was the equivalent of two or three cases. I do remember them tasting really good and going down smoothly. I do remember thinking that the fruit juice at least didnā€™t do me and the fetus any harm, lol.

I used to, but then I realized that it doesnā€™t change the way he is, and itā€™s a waste of energy that could be directed elsewhere.

11 Likes

Iā€™ve so far managed to:
Pay back my dealer; pay back my musical partner; help a friend start a biz; buy food with money, not my MI bridge card; pay bills, both not- and over-due; buy some THC and CBD products (they help my son with his pain, the CBD; THC, he says, ā€œragdolls meā€); pay some money toward property taxes; buy a new vacuum cleaner; put money INTO (instead of taking out of, lol) my Paypal account; and pay for shipping on a ā€œnewā€/refurbished phone (itā€™s been a year since I got my old one, actually 14 mos., so Iā€™m eligible for a free replacement).

And I STILL HAVE MONEY LEFT ZOMG! Now Iā€™m trying to figure out a cheap getaway so I can have a change-of-scenery that would no doubt have a positive effect on my mental health. Any suggestions?

16 Likes

Does Amtrak stop near your town?

10 Likes

I am never not going to recommend a hike through the woods.

9 Likes