šŸ“Ø To PCH, or not to PCH?

Ah, okay, then. Not really up-to-speed on British cinema.

5 Likes

Find this guy, learn at his feet.

https://www.npr.org/2016/01/10/462555691/how-220m-changed-a-lottery-winner

2 Likes

Buy ten high-end mountain bikes. Got it.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done that twice, for at least parts of it, although it was so long ago that I canā€™t remember which parts, exactly.

The first time, I was probably pretty high for much of it, and while I definitely enjoyed the scenery, I donā€™t think I ever really quite grokked that it was kind of a big deal, so to speak.

The second time, I had different expectations and paid more attention to my surroundings, but that was partly because I kept seeing these street signs, but I didnā€™t know what they meant, and every time I asked my traveling companions about them, it would turn out that they hadnā€™t seen them and were skeptical of my account of said signs.

I also almost struck a person pedaling some sort of reclining tricycle on one of those twisty little coastal roads, and even though I was only driving about 25 MPH, the adrenaline rush from almost, but not quite, accidentally killing someone was quite invigorating.

4 Likes

Also, re: the OP.

4 Likes

Also read this advice that Mark Cuban has for lottery winners

Mark Cubanā€™s Lottery Advice

2 Likes
4 Likes

Pretty straightforward and awesome starting points there.

3 Likes

Yep. It is good advice.

5 Likes

Yes, exactly that. Just like a normal cyclist, but harder to see. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Thereā€™s been some bad situations around that. There was one lottery winner who turned his little hometown church into a megachurch with his donations and then it was just a total shitshow, so I think all of those kinds of things have to be really considered to make sure that whoever receives your generosity is capable of handling it.

6 Likes

Iā€™d first set aside enough in index funds and bonds that I could live off the return indefinitely (4% rule), regardless of work. Having that security would be the best part of winning.

Then Iā€™d look for a house to buy. Itā€™s not easy - I donā€™t want a big mcmansion out in suburbia, rather have a small house on the bus line, but most of those are old and run-down. But with the security net, I could spend some time to find the right place. Then Iā€™d have a place to live, regardless of rent.

With that security, I think I might take a sabbatical and go stay at a Buddhist monastery for awhile to get some perspective. Immerse in the sort of things that we donā€™t have time for in modern life.

After that, Iā€™d probably go back to work with a lot less stress and working fewer hours, able to really enjoy doing what I want, because itā€™s no longer what I have to do or else. Even though Iā€™d be doing the same thing, itā€™d cast it in a new light.

Of course, thereā€™s always a chance that the reality wouldnā€™t be so ideal and I might spaz out and fall victim to the lottery curse. But for a few million dollars, Iā€™m willing to take that chance. :wink:

6 Likes