International pronouns day

Today is International Pronouns Day, a day to make sharing and educating about pronouns commonplace. You can set yours to display in mini-bio and full profile by : https://bbs.elsewhere.cafe/my/preferences/profile

14 Likes

Again, thanks for making this happen.

9 Likes

You are a rockstar!

9 Likes

Itā€™s amazing how many people on twitter are angrily trying to explain to a dictionary that this is grammatically incorrect.

But, it did lead to me seeing thisā€¦

16 Likes

Iā€™ve been using ā€˜theyā€™ as a gender neutral term for a singular person before I even knew what ā€˜gender neutralā€™ meant.

Some people are such uptight control freaksā€¦

14 Likes

Yup, and some of them are teachers. Iā€™ve had to unlearn a lot of things my secondary and especially primary school teachers taught as unshakeable facts, when really they were personal opinions.

Mind you, my favourite teachers remain the ones who also presented personal opinions but were up-front about it.

6 Likes

Didnā€™t get a picture (see previous thread on mobile phone) but after checking in at MS Ignite and you pick up your swag, they had pronoun pins to attach to your event lanyard.

They/Them
She/Her
He/Him
And a combo of all of them

They also had badges for:

Talk to Me!
Talk to Me if we know each other!
Donā€™t Talk to me!

9 Likes

The autistic community has been using this for decades. They are color-coded Green, Yellow, and Red respectively. Last time Iā€™ve organized an autistic community event, back when the world was flat, I also added a Blue badge (Organizer - I can answer questions about this event but please no small talk).

8 Likes

Thanks assumed the color patters were there on purpose, but the designer should have tried for more contrast as Iā€™d have to have the badge in my face to tell the color difference.

5 Likes

I also find this rather odd. The autism community goes out of its way to accommodate any and all differences in ability, but apparently not colorblindness. I am colorblind, like ten percent of all men. This isnā€™t exactly a rare condition.

I solved this problem by using textured paper. Green was solid, yellow was diagonal stripes, and red was horizontal stripes.

6 Likes

Iā€™m fine with that, but I like the Swedish idea of a gender-neutral singular pronoun even better, keeping they/them for the plural. This has been proposed for English before, but never caught on.

1 Like

How about different shapes ā€” red octagonal stop sign for ā€œDonā€™t talkā€, for example.

4 Likes