Introducing Discobot

I notice there are new badges talking about user tutorials. Where can we find and take these? It sounds like fun, and I’m hoping they teach some of the Discourse/Markdown tricks we might not be familiar with.

11 Likes

I had the same thought. I’m not sure how to trigger the discobot yet. I’ll look into it.

2 Likes

I may have found something, by Googling. Let me try…

@discobot start new user

4 Likes

It works! Typing the request above to @discobot starts a PM thread that teaches you basic Discourse skills through interaction. I didn’t really learn anything new, but I now have the Certified badge!

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

4 Likes

Once you’ve finished the new user tutorial, you can reply with

@discobot start advanced user

…and you can take a second tutorial, and earn the Licensed badge. I did pick up a thing or two. One of the activities is creating a poll, and I’ve never done that before.

I think I should have created a new thread for this though. @LockeCJ, can we please split this off into a new Topic for greater visibility? I think everyone’s going to want to try this…

Edited because I got the command wrong… (insert eyeroll emoji here)

5 Likes

@discobot quote

2 Likes

:left_speech_bubble: Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. That’s where the fruit is. — H. Jackson Browne

4 Likes

@discobot fortune

3 Likes

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

2 Likes

@discobot display help

3 Likes

I currently know how to do the following things:

@discobot start new user

Starts one of the following interactive narratives: new user, advanced user.

@discobot roll 2d6

:game_die: 3, 6

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you — Princess Diana

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: You may rely on it

3 Likes

And there’s still the classic…

@discobot roll 2d6

2 Likes

:game_die: 3, 5

2 Likes

@discobot start new user

2 Likes

In case anyone doesn’t want to clutter this thread with the “start new user” commands… this apparently works if you create a private message to yourself with the request.

From the examples here so far, @discobot fortune sounds more like a magic eight ball.

8 Likes

@discobot kill existing user

9 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

Dammit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9 Likes