Jerwin's rabbit holes

Those countries didn’t have to be fascist, they just needed authorities making fascist expressions, which is more about the appropriation of history as another location in which to root a structure of bullshit.

1 Like

oh, the fascists were skilled at creating pseudohistorical bullshit.

From Italy’s Divided Memory: Fascist Memories, Memories of Fascism

…Fascism constructed a myth of its own past through these “fascist martyrs,” militants who died during clashes with the left, or the forces of law and order, in the run-up to the assault on the capital in 1922. The exact numbers of these “martyrs” varied according to how “martyrdom” was calculated. Fascist estimates were very high: it was claimed that 3,000 fascists died between 1919 and 1922, but the real figure was probably closer to 100
or so.5 Registered “martyrs”were given the full status of war dead—and in fact they were awarded even greater standing than most of those who died between 1915 and 1918.6 Their families received full war pensions and monuments were dedicated to them across Italy. Special recognition for the “fascist martyrs” was also added to war monuments, as at Redipuglia, or near the monument to Guglielmo Oberdan, in Trieste. In the Oberdan crypt, built in 1935 on the site of an ex-Austrian barracks, you can still read the names of the Caduti per la rivoluzione (the fallen of the revolution).

This myth was not simply a way to exploit the past for political ends, but also part of an attempt to eliminate all other memories from the postwar period. For the fascists, “intervention, war and fascism are successive moments of the same revolutionary fact.”… Fascism’s martyr cult was a way of imposing its own version of history. This was another battle in the “memory war” that continued throughout the 1920s and 1930s.

The German paralell to this might have been the Tannenberg Memorial. Spain had the Valle de los Caídos, though there are substantial differences.

2 Likes

These “fact checkers” can really miss the point.

It’s not a hoax. It’s a question of whether NASA would even indulge your pseudoscience.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/skytellers/constellations/

I should really purge my google news feed of these fact checkers. Many of them seem to pursue the craft with the zeal of a Malaysian libel lawyer.

1 Like

hmm

Foucault probably meant no conscious reference to the world of James Bond here, though the big-screen adaptation of Ian Fleming’s second Bond novel, Live and Let Die (1954), was still quite fresh (1973) when Foucault delivered his lecture.2 While he never addresses Bond in any of his writings—in fact, he often remains notoriously reluctant to move beyond his immediate jurisdiction, the 19th century—, he may have been all too aware that the idea of the hyper-virile secret service man with a ‘license to kill’ embodies in a somewhat bizarre and perverted fashion many of the ideas he addresses in his reflections on disciplinary power.3 Needless to say, the Bond franchise has always been rich in various other Foucauldian themes, like madness and sexuality.

1 Like

I read this and immediate thought that there was a scene with Bond captured by the villain and subjected to a “Pit and the Pendulum” torture. But I must be imagining things.

1 Like

Interesting paper if you can get a copy:

Christine Pierce. “Anti-Homosexual and Gay: Rereading Sartre” Hypatia Vol. 22, No. 1, Writing Against Heterosexism (Winter, 2007), pp. 10-23

It’s a application of Anti-Semite and Jew to heteronormativity.

1 Like

He sounds like a damn clown-- believing , and espousing nonsense. But there are more interesting critiques of the enlightenment, and adventures into postmodernism.

Honestly “because they are stupid” has never been a persuasive argument as to why people believe strange things and turn evil.

2 Likes

“Whatever we do, keep the money train moving.”

2 Likes

this essay depressed the hell out of me.

1 Like