Juggalos vs Proud Boys

This is why they’re marching

https://www.juggalomarch.com/editorials

ALL AMERICANS SHOULD DEFEND JUGGALOS’ RIGHT TO BE DOWN WITH THE CLOWN

As a reporter, I have interviewed many controversial Americans, from Mike “Bite Off His Opponent’s Ear” Tyson to literal Nazis, but my family and friends have only expressed concerned for my safety over my time with Juggalos. “Don’t die!” someone texts me every year before I travel to Thornville, Ohio, for the annual Gathering of the Juggalos. “Juggalos are dangerous!”

I always laugh at their hysteria. Sure, crazy shit goes down at the Gathering. Juggalos shot firecrackers off RVs last year. Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J ripped up scarecrows in 2015. And who can forget the year Ratchet Regi bathed in milk? But I’ve never seen a fight at the Gathering, and I have witnessed teenagers snort way more drugs at Ultra, an annual EDM festival sponsored by corporations like Uber and Heineken.

The attack on ICP is often an attack on what people view as symbols of white poverty. Many ICP fans call themselves “scrubs.” They grew up poor, like ICP. Violent J and Shaggy inverted symbols of poverty—Faygo, broken-down bikes, shitty clothes—and turned them into swagger…

7 Likes

This is the detail that makes me think what ICP is doing is deeper than people think.

4 Likes

Actually, reading some of the stuff on that site, all of that could apply equally to punks, from unusual/oppositional dress, occasional drug taking and crime and a great sense of community.

3 Likes

Also Mods and Rockers, eh?

3 Likes

Magnets isn’t that different from a John Cooper Clarke poem.

3 Likes

I rarely see their running guy sticker on cars. I suspect they’re bigger outside of Detroit than they are within the Metro.

1 Like