Jukebox HMS Redux

https://twitter.com/caribeindigena/status/974192601782988800

2 Likes

A day early, I knowā€¦ but how about some Pogues in celebration of St. Patrickā€™s day tomorrow!

2 Likes

From BBā€™s 1967 variety special with Serge Gainsbourg:

1 Like

Isnā€™t on youtube and canā€™t embed from archive.org here apparently, so Iā€™m making it hard for you but hereā€™s my selection:

Casper Reardon and His Group - What Is This Thing Called Love? (Cole Porter)

I came across this one looking for public-domain music on archive.org to use in wedding videos so I could upload them to youtube without having to use stock music or the like (for the clients, I use music they played at the wedding, or that they specifically request, and those versions canā€™t go on youtube or facebook).

Turns out, as you may guess, there is barely anything that is truly public domain - this (and many other things) were previously marked as public domain on archive.org and are no longer described as such, because they arenā€™t. Amazingly, the video I uploaded including this song was flagged by youtube for the music - it has never been reissued, but iirc Columbia has the copyright and has it in some form in its digital archives in a way that can be recognized by youtube.

(Fortunately it also said something like the copyright holder isnā€™t enforcing their claim - if they do in the future, then there will be ads on my video and the revenue goes to them, which is a step below taking videos down and probably explains why so much music not uploaded by the copyright holders still exists on youtube - theyā€™re still making money on it!)

In any case, I found the recording to be firstly very unique, but most importantly, utterly, utterly charming.

There are a couple of videos of Casper Reardon (Jazz Harpist!) on youtube that are worth checking out - he died young and there isnā€™t a ton of material, and this is by far my favorite song but itā€™s all good.

3 Likes

Nina Paley, among others, has had struggles where they have used music which is most definitely public domainā€¦ but companies have claimed copyright anyhow. She fought back and won. Others may not find it worth it, of course.

2 Likes

I think the issue in this case is that the recording and publication dates are unknown, so the person who recorded it and uploaded it to archive.org may have just hoped for the best and/or feigned ignorance when they marked it as public domain. Basically I think they considered it abandonware, which of course is not an actual legal status. When I chose to use the song in my video it was because I loved the song, so I just didnā€™t think about it too much and figured I could get away with it.

I suspect itā€™s also quite complicated in a case like this anyway because you have to consider Cole Porterā€™s copyright for the base song, Casper Reardonā€™s copyright for the arrangement, and the copyright of the performance/recording all separately. (I could easily be wrong about how it works, honestly I donā€™t know). The Cole Porter song itself is not public domain and a little bit of sleuthing reveals that the recording must be from between 1933 and 1941, so that isnā€™t either even though Reardon died in 1941 and isnā€™t around to collect royalties (nor is the record label).

Of course, itā€™s patently obvious that everything about this should already be in the public domain!

2 Likes

This jazz waltz was written by Duke Ellington for ā€œAnatomy of a Murder.ā€
Words were added later by the talented Miss Peggy.
Here she is singing themā€¦

1 Like

Apparently there is a non-black and white and rotoscoped video for this song:

Iā€™m going out on a limb and guess this version was made first, before he broke into the US market. Itā€™s interesting to compare the two.

Is it still possible to climb on the lions in Trafalgar Square?

Respighi nightā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve found myself in need of calm recently and this does it for meā€¦ good old Renaissance polyphony.

2 Likes

Where were you in '72?

3 Likes

If it was February of '72, I was in the hospital, when my mom gave birth to meā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

15 years from the start of the life queue.

3 Likes

I wanted to say watching Zappa at the Agrodome in Vancouver, but that was July of '71; I wanted to say watching Mahavishnu Orchestra at Place des Arts in Montreal, but that was January of '73. Sly and the Family Stone, and a bill of Mahogany Rush and John Mayallā€™s Bluesbreakers, both at the Montreal Forum, does sound about rightā€¦

4 Likes

Spent the majority of the year in utero, myself.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Warning: flashing lights

SUPERFRUITā€™s fantastic song from their album, Future Friends.

1 Like