Jukebox HMS Redux

2 Likes

25 years since Zooropa was released. I read an article today mentioning that this is U2’s forgotten album. Kinda sad… I really thought it was refreshing.

Sorry about the video…

1 Like

This is America.

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Turn off the airconditioning and go outside.

What can you add to that? So goodnight, everyone.

Aw, c’mon, babe…

2 Likes
1 Like

Hey, it’s that girl from Misfits of Science!

3 Likes

#https://rayezaragoza.bandcamp.com/album/heroine-ep

Beautifully sung folk music. Worth a listen.

1 Like

Extreme Flashing Lights Warning

1 Like

“Little Bribes”
“A Diamond and a Tether”
“My Mirror Speaks”
“I Was Once a Loyal Lover”
“Talking Bird (Demo)”

1 Like

Been going through all my old Cold-War Pop favorites.

Nik Kershaw was sadly underappreciated in the states.

1 Like

I think this is the most emotionally moving ukelele cover I’ve ever heard. It starts off as a giggle, but it’s quite touching by the end.

3 Likes

New Neneh Cherry:

Lovely! I adore the Ukulele Orchestra!

You know, I’ve heard a couple of other recent covers of this song lately. Here is Depeche Mode covering it:

It strikes me that, not only is the song 40 years past it’s historical context (actually, 42 years in September, with it being recorded 42 years ago this month!), but it’s nearly 20 years past the end of the location where that song had meaning (the Wall). One wonders what sort of meaning people make out of it, with out the benefit of context. I mean, they can always read up on it, but I wonder if it makes the song less impactful, for not having grown up around that context in some way that gave it that greater depth? Does it just come off as some love song or does it cause people to really reflect on what the song means?

Sorry… just thinking out loud here!

3 Likes

I’ll out myself as an uninformed dork here: it was only about a year ago I learned it was “standing by the Wall” and not just some other wall. I’ve always pictured it as just a scene from war time.

So… the song will be okay, I think? It does fit well with the resistance work going on.

2 Likes