Jukebox HMS Redux

2 Likes

A live version from a few years ago of one of my favorite Violent Femmes songs. I especially like the substitution of a Weber grill for a drum set.

6 Likes
1 Like

I saw them in concert a couple of years ago in a small venue like that and it was awesome!

Thatā€™s also one of my favorite songs. They still do it perfectly, and itā€™s so weird to see the video from back then and then from today and they look so different now, but itā€™s still exactly the same.

One of the other songs, I donā€™t remember which, one of them was playing a horn - not a brass instrument, but an animal horn - and it fit right in and sounded like it always did. I remember thinking some other bands will change their old songs so they sound and feel different, but they may change the way they play them, but keep them sounding and feeling the same.

2 Likes

[ETA]

From the Grammysā€¦

Laurie Anderson and DJ Kool Herc got achievement awards this yearā€¦

And the Killer Mike got 3 awards and got arrested?!?!

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Maybe some Grammy official didnā€™t like him cussing on stage? I dunno. Killer Mike is an interesting person. A good example of someone who doesnā€™t fit neatly into any box. On most economic issues, heā€™s definitely a progressive, and was a vocal supporter of Bernie, but heā€™s also very, very pro gun and sometimes sounds kind of libertarian. Heā€™s complicated, and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that. At least he hasnā€™t swung over to MAGA land like some other artists did once they got rich.

3 Likes

Turned out it was misdemeanor battery? Something about a security guard being knocked down earlier in the day at the venue? I doubt if this had been a famous white dude getting a grammy a perp walk would have happenedā€¦

4 Likes

New Gary Clark Jr!!! Might be some flashy/glitchiness in these videos, especially the second one?

1 Like

Yeah that was completely unnecessary.

2 Likes

This is from FoxNews, so take with many grains of salt, but itā€™s the only story I could find with any actual description of the alleged incident:

After winning three awards at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, rapper Killer Mike was arrested by the LAPD for misdemeanor battery. (FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images)

According to Rolling Stone, a female security officer claims she was injured by Render during the event. A law enforcement source told the outlet that the musician approached the security guard at her assigned entrance at the arena, and she asked Render for his ticket.

The source shared that the woman explained Render tried to allegedly go around her instead of going through a security checkpoint. She then ā€œran around and got in front of him again.ā€

Per the outlet, Render allegedly ā€œpushed her to the ground.ā€ The security guard allegedly suffered from injuries on her hand and fingers. The source told the outlet that the woman called out for help, which prompted other security guards to circle Render and call the police.

The female security guard received medical attention, took photos of her alleged injuries and signed a citizenā€™s arrest for misdemeanor battery, the outlet reported.

Since it references Rolling Stone, I could go look there, but I think theyā€™re behind a paywall.

2 Likes

Thanks! He put out a statement saying that it was a misunderstanding, but that he didnā€™t do anything wrongā€¦ :woman_shrugging:

1 Like
3 Likes

This song popped up in my stream today. Iā€™d never heard it before because Iā€™ve missed a lot, but what a great song. Sometimes it really does feel to me like the messages one needs to hear have a will of their own and find their way in as if by magic.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I love Ren!

2 Likes

Yeah. I just listened to his Violetā€™s Tale for the first time. And then had to go outside and take a breather. This guy is really not pulling punches when it comes to making songs that make you feel something.

2 Likes
1 Like

I wore blue and brown today.