Just had a thought

This is just a thread to put the weird ideas that pop into your head, and maybe get some feedback.

9 Likes

Sometimes at night I look up at all the stars in the sky, at the vastness and majesty of the cosmos, and I think to myself: “How amazing that this all revolves around me.”

23 Likes

Table for beeblebrox?

13 Likes

Of course the sun revolves around the Earth - that’s the beauty of relative motion in a frame with no fixed points of reference!

Edit - Fuck Heliocentrism!

11 Likes

This is going to be my favourite thread.

10 Likes

You are one of the greatest enigmas on BBS, and one day I will know exactly how you tock. Fell free to 'tick around; know that you self-selected to be here though ultimately we are all at the whim of the community large.

Wot I’m saying is it’s actually about ethics in silverware - choose Oneida for the quality, stay for the directed "free love’

3 Likes

Where the fuck did the tent go?

19 Likes

Empathy is not just being the hero in your own story, but not being the villian in someone elses.

(based on an observation by Wil Wheaton)

11 Likes

I think there’s two of them right now…

5 Likes

It’s catching! Run for your lives! Seal off the town and nuke from orbit just to be sure!

6 Likes

Why can’t we replace adverts in general on the web with virtual machines that rope in the resources on peoples computers that would be used to play adverts to each run a small part of a wider programe. That being anything from bit coin mining to weather modelling. Just run some cycles in the background on the computers viewing the site while they are on the site instead of ads. Someone leaves fine just pass the load onto the next guy. It just seems that with billions of computers surfing at any given time, somethibg the size of googles ad network could acomplise a hell of a lot more than putting pictures be ignored in the vein hope of selling 0.001% of the audience some crap that will discarded within days.

3 Likes

You can already donate cycles to Folding@Home. :wink: Just putting that out there.

If you want to support content producers and also hide ads, try Ad Nauseum, a fork of uBlock Origin. This fork tries to grab whatever the ad’s linking to without running it. Slightly slower than uBlock Origin, but hey: fuck advertisers.

2 Likes

Got the boinc app running on my phone so theres that.

Denying charisma very easily yields a sort of annoyance/anti-charisma, but it is exceedingly difficult to compassionately engender feelings of indifference, to socialize with a minimal footprint, to make a difference without being a person.

1 Like

You are Aristotle, and I want a word with you about your omitting to put in all your books “This is just an hypothesis, guys, don’t get too hung up on it.”

5 Likes

Popo reminds me of some academic philosophers I’ve met. One of them produced a paper - quite short, about 16 pages - which basically tried to put into doubt everything that most of us take for granted about the world around us. On the copy in the university library, on the last page, someone had written in pencil “what makes you think that this is really a paper?”

10 Likes

Intersting. But the Ad Nauseam homepage hits users with a lot of pain/animation. So it may not be the best protection against ad-based pain/animation.

2 Likes