Let's Name This Place Updated: Round 2!

NO  

5 Likes

nvmno

In before @LockeCJ reinstates a character minimum above 2.

Edit: oops, I failed the literacy test and read preceding instead of pursuant. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not my first choice for that reason. I like numbersstation.io best because it inspires curiosity and carries a similar sense of mystery/romance, but without the extra baggage. However, I’d prefer it to the mutant-based names, which, in addition to being connected to BB, carry more repulsive connotations:

Gross.

5 Likes

HappyMutant.space is popular, but the current site is happymutants.space. is this deliberate?

3 Likes

To sum up the previous thread on this issue; Happy Mutants is the name of the corporation that owns boingboing, which raises trademark concerns, and that is the primary motivation in seeking a new name. However, since beginning the name search, we have been told through intermediaries that Happy Mutants LLC will not interfere with our use of that name, though to ensure against any future disputes, we would probably have to engage in a licensing agreement with them. Some people are not interested in keeping this name because of the complicated arrangement it may require, while others find the mere association anathema, since that name implies a direct connection or even ownership of this site by Happy Mutants LLC. Still, it is technically an option (with conditions) so it is on the list.

6 Likes

have we seen what the .com / .org /.net. Erosions of these are to ensure we aren’t going to be associated with some awful site that could be easily accidentally entered instead of the .cafe etc ending?

4 Likes

I havent done a comprehensive test, but for many of them I’ve at least checked the .com and they are mostly just parked or “coming soon.” When the list gets a little smaller I’ll vet them thoroughly before moving to semi-finals.

2 Likes

Mutantunderground.net

Now I’m under where the lights are low
To the place where all the Mutants go

5 Likes

Yes, it started with something someone unpleasant. But rather than hold on to the negative we have created a wonderful place that is elsewhere from the bad owl.

6 Likes

Currently I’m attracted to Mutant Underground … honors our roots, has that subversive quality, and is kind of funky. Doesn’t bring up any bad experiences with a place that hatched us.

12 Likes

I can’t believe forum.mcforumface.com doesn’t have all the votes!! :laughing:

Elsewhere.cafe currently has 105.56 votes by my ‘math’ and looks to be pretty popular.

I like the use of the elsewhere tag but I’m not sure about the whole .cafe thing… I voted .zone instead but I guess the pie and coffee association is good enough for me if we end up going that way. :smiley:

11 Likes

I think your math is off - the way I calculate it, Elsewhere.cafe has just 24 votes. See, this is a mutilple choice poll so to get the actual votes for any particular choice you have to take the number of voters, not the number of total votes, and apply the percentage to that number. In other words, the percentage next to the choice represents the percent of voters who chose that, though they may have chosen other names as well, which is why the vote total is 182, but number of voters is jist 41.

What that means is that about a third of the members have voted in this poll so far, which is… unsettling, since inwoild want at least a mjority to be involved in such an important decision. But then again, maybe most people don’t care - I didn’t leave an option for people to express indifference.

Back to the math; someone please tell me if I’m doing that wrong, since I plan on making decisions based on those calculations. This poll has only been open for a few days, and this is important so I’ll leave it open for a few more, but after that I plan on taking the more than 40 names and reducing that to a number that can fit in to a single poll - probably top 20 but maybe more or less depending on if there’s a clean line somewhere. For that poll I will limit then number of votes to 3 (average now is 4). I will then take the top 10 and allow only a single vote. Then down to top 3 for a final vote.

Along the way, I will still allow for last minute submissions if anyone is struck with a brilliant idea. But to be included in the next poll, the new name would have to garner a number of likes higher than the average of the others in the poll.

If anyone has any suggestions for process, please let me know.

10 Likes

I wish there were more speakeasy options in this list, I thought we had come up with more.

2 Likes

Psst, the Speakeasy is what we should be calling the TL3 lounge.

10 Likes

Du. Du hast. Du hast: Lounge.haus.

Didn’t even get included in the vote… :cry:

7 Likes

It might be nice to explore other options—maybe something more abstract like a .xyz or .io. Cafe makes me think of coffee and pie, but “zone” makes me think of 80’s laser tag commercials.

7 Likes

Awesome!

I have to admit, I really dislike cafe. There’s something that just rubs me wrong about that word as it applies to websites. It seems very 90’s to me. I much prefer .pub.

9 Likes

Maybe we hold an Elsewhere primary?

(preferably involving an arcane system of superdelagates and caucuses)

11 Likes

I like that idea A LOT. I was the speakeasy authoress and when I looked at them all together, I was like, Hmm, no, not for the site. But if we are Mutant Underground then the Speakeasy tots works as the TL3 lounge, doesn’t it?

10 Likes

Let’s do an Elsewhere off with different dot whatevers and see what rises to the top, then poll it against other top options.

9 Likes