Licorice is for Lovers

causes the body’s potassium levels to fall

So only eat licorice-covered bananas?

I used to like licorice, but I’ve had no interest in it at all since a bad night with Jägermeister about 22 years ago. :nauseated_face:

6 Likes

I will eat licorice in small amounts, can tolerate Jaegermeister, and love those litlle German pepper-whatsits nibbles.
However, the person who decided to include licorice in fruit-flavored Jujyfruits was gross.

3 Likes

Full agreement.

Licorice needs to be by itself. Adding licorice to a mixed set of candy flavors is like poring skittles and m&ms into the same bowl

8 Likes

That reminds me: there’s this herbal tea by Four O’Clock that tastes like cocoa*, especially if you add a spot of milk to the mug. Licorice is in it and and works well with the other herbs to create the illusion.

*close enough for when you want cocoa but there’s none to be had

2 Likes

Hey, it’s good for all of us licorice lovers. All you need to do is wait for someone else to buy mixed candy, and you can poach the black ones without complaint. Free candy!

7 Likes

Yep. I actually tried some once. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Except for Jelly Babies, where the black ones are black currant flavor. But that’s still a win.

4 Likes

not big on black licorice, but hey if it makes you happy, go for it.

3 Likes

i can’t be the only person in this thread who looks forward to easter solely because of the availability of entire bags of black-only jellybeans…

6 Likes

How is this a thing I have not heard of?!?!

3 Likes

omg really?? they are hard to find, but it’s truly a thing. it’s the only reason i even look forward to easter. chocolate? meh. black jellybeans? MORE PLEASE.

3 Likes

Do you like Gimbal’s Scottie dogs? Like a black jellybean without the sugar crust, and available year round.

2 Likes

In case anyone didn’t already have this bookmarked and/or favorited, this is a site where I’ve been able to find just about any licorice option available in the world:http://www.licoriceinternational.com

The Holy Grail of licorice toffee – made by Callard & Bowser until the 1970s (I think) has never been fully duplicated, but a close approximation comes from an old family candy store in Minneapolis:

http://www.abdallahcandies.com/LICORICE-CARAMELS-P406.aspx

7 Likes

+1 licoriceinternational - I have ordered from them before (far too long ago) with great results. Tends to be a bit less costly than ordering licorice from German or Dutch specialty food shops.

2 Likes

i’ve never tried them! they sound amazing.

3 Likes

I once had a similar experience with Jägermeister but, luckily, it only put me off Jägermeister. :sunglasses:

I still quite enjoy black licorice.

8 Likes

Does it count if you like fake liquorice? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s anise try, but no.

13 Likes

GAAA! At least blur the image! :scream:
Remember the sage words of @chgoliz : “red licorice is an oxymoron.”

As someone who grew up on these, I beg to disagree.

Although the plain black candies were my favourites.

My wife likes the salted ones, but she is Dutch and can be excused. I haven’t developed a taste for them. I don’t mind a hint of anise in things like Italian sausages.

10 Likes

I bought some allsorts on a lark last year, remembering that my grandparents used to have them. But I thought they were kind of gross. Not-very-good licorice with not-very-good candy. Not bad enough that I couldn’t finish them, but not good enough that I would buy more any time soon.

As random licorice/Doctor Who trivia, Bertie Bassett, mascot for the Bassett’s licorice allsorts, was the inspiration for one of the most infamous Doctor Who villains of the 1980s, the KandyMan from the (IMO unfairly maligned) story the Happiness Patrol. It was a hamfisted satire on the forced cheer of Reagan/Thatcher-style greed culture. It probably would have been a classic if not subject to the rushed and threadbare problems of that era’s production.

7 Likes