Liminal Spaces

It’s grocery stores for me, but otherwise I’m there with you on that. I could spend hours.

Maybe it’s because I never got into makeup, but going to the grocery store with my mom (especially as a little kid) is one of my favorite things. What’s that? What’s that? What does it taste like? Is that expensive? That smells good. What’s that? Our Ma is a very patient human.

7 Likes

When you get an unexpected break from work or just your normal routine.

6 Likes

Or home, sick, for several days and you’re not even sure when it is, because your sleep schedule is off, and you have no routine.

7 Likes

Coming home after a trip away, and coming back to work after a trip away.

At some point everything will snap back into being “normal” but not today!

6 Likes

Waking up into a dark room for the week after the DST time change.

5 Likes

Living in a country where good and evil have swapped places.

6 Likes

I think they’re still in the same places they’ve always been; the politicians are just now so secure in their power that they feel they can drop the pretense that they’re on the side of good.

5 Likes

In Boulder I often go on hikes up into the mountains where I don’t get down until dusk. But, even though I make a point to get off the rocks before the sun goes down, there’s still 2-3 miles of hiking back towards my place through woods until I get back into the city and the dark settles in the whole time. This is the Mesa Trail – though sometimes I take branch called “Enchanted Mesa.”

I walk this well-trod trail in the fading dusk, or by moonlight, or by the glow of the clouds; go down over streams and climb back out, consult barely visible signposts to check my direction, take that sharp bend where there’s always a person hooting up above for laughs – or is it really an owl this time? Say “hello” to the occasional eloping teenage couple before they’re spooked to see another person there. Well, they’re always spooked no matter what I do. It’s all at once safe and familiar yet dark and terrifying, lonely – but almost populated.

And then I reach the familiarity of the Chautauqua hill and I greet the woman who’s always walking her dog out there, I go through a couple blocks of houses and now my route home abuts the cemetery. I leave that to the ghosts and to the kids discovering weed and each others’ bodies. My feet ache after a long day of hiking. I’m hungry. It’s still over a mile home – but a more mundane one.

14 Likes

This is off-topic, but that was beautifully-written. Thanks for sharing! :smiley:

6 Likes

oracle1oracle2
oracle3oracle4
oracle5

13 Likes