[LNN] systemd-free Debian fork Devuan releases at last

When Poettering’s latest plot to seize control of the Linux kernel system by splorghing a binary-blob all over, some developers revolted against the Red Hat’s ravaging ways. These developers formed Devuan, a fork of Debian that eschews systemd for traditional initv-style systems. And at long last, their work is ready for use and fully compatible with Debian repos. If you’ve been waiting for a systemd-free modern OS and didn’t grab Budgie, grab Devuan… and then install the Budgie window manager anyway (because it’s frelling awesome).

h/t https://theregister.co.uk/2017/04/22/devuan_1_0_0_released/

6 Likes

Try this: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/22/devuan_1_0_0_released/

I get a refused connection otherwise.

2 Likes

So why is one better than the other? This is one of the few minutiae of system adminstration I never felt much passion about either way.

3 Likes

systemd attempts to run everything in its own binary blobspace. It doesn’t save human-readable logs, which is important for debugging and system administration. It royally fucks up some desktop environments. It doesn’t shut down and restart cleanly.

edit:
Poettering, the guy behind systemd, doesn’t trust the community to make pull requests. His attitude when HIS code breaks other working systems is that the other systems should be altered to serve systemd. His previous project, pulseaudio, was also shit.

5 Likes

Hmm, ok. I guess I just haven’t really had much interaction with systemd positive or negative. These days Linux is basically a Swiss Army tool for me and I don’t have any need to delve particularly deep. I can certainly see why the old init system would be preferred by many.

4 Likes

Well that’s certainly a shitty attitude.

4 Likes

Probably explains why you don’t hear people waxing lyrical about dr cyst.

2 Likes

Update!

Devuan release 2.0 is out today, bringing out-of-the-box support for nearly every window manager. Like its predecessor, it uses a sta le version of Debian as base, with all the systemD components to replaced by ones that play nice with init.

3 Likes

sark and the mcp

2 Likes

Anyone know of a good ancient or medieval os?

2 Likes

If you have a pi I thought risc os was nifty.

2 Likes

Maybe this.

3 Likes

Thanks. I suppose abacus techniques could be considered software, but closer to application-level than full-fledged operating-system-level.

2 Likes

If you get bored of abaci try this.

3 Likes