Looking for free email that doesn't make you give up a phone number

Just that, anyone know of a free email provider that doesn’t make you give up a phone number? In this case, I’d rather sacrifice a second factor of authentication and avoid linking the phone.

Why would someone provide free email without monetizing whatever data they can grab? Apparently, they wouldn’t.

3 Likes

I just registered an outlook.com account and it didn’t ask for any phone info.

Did ask for my time zone, but nothing else.

4 Likes

email.com by 1&1 ionis doesn’t require phone verification. that said, email.com has had security breaches in the past, so don’t use it for stuff like banking or crypto coins.

3 Likes

Very cool, thank you both. I’m up on outlook.com.

4 Likes

Great. Now just prepare yourself for a monthly UI change if outlook.com is anything like their other cloud offerings.

I wish I was joking.

4 Likes

Just for the record, I got two new addresses in two days before outlook.com started demanding a phone number. I guess that was spam-like activity since the requests all came from the same IP address? Anyway, this is just detail.

(I was setting up four Twitter accounts, each with its own email address – as demanded by Twitter – so I could offer them as a choice to the person I’m setting them up for, but instead I’m just picking one and going with it, which is close enough. I might have run into trouble with the original plan anyway since Twitter does require a phone number and might have balked at it being used multiply.)

2 Likes

Just checked mine, no phone number.

3 Likes

get reported ONCE by a nazi or like a comment that says “trans rights”, twitter will demand phone verification.

(I get hit with Twitter verification checks 3x a day these days)

3 Likes

WTF, Twitter? (As spoken thousands of times a day.)

2 Likes

I know it’s not for everyone, and it’s certainly not free, but it’s relatively easy enough to set up a linode or digitalocean node with mail-in-a-box.

2 Likes

1&1 offers 1 free hosted exchange 2013 email inbox with every domain, plus unlimited email aliases.

RiseUp is pretty decent for a host as is the Pirate Party of Germany.

3 Likes