Love in the Time of COVID-19

I just scheduled online a COVID-19 vaccination for my son for Thursday.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Speaking of guys named Vlad…

(and thank you very much for the great opening for this post! couldn’ta timed it better meself!)

4 Likes

Someone on TikTok pointed out that the labor shortage numbers just about add up to the number of people that died. Go figure, putting all those “essential workers” in harm’s way so we could keep fast food places and stores opened had some consequences.

9 Likes
2 Likes

What goalie is going to block one of Vlad’s shot?

2 Likes

Fernando Lira, a 27-year-old man from São Paulo, is at particular risk from COVID-19 because he has had a kidney transplant. He is angry at his government and at the disparities between countries. “I think it’s absurd that the U.S. gives free vaccines for tourists. I am Brazilian, I am living here, and I’m waiting for several months, when in the U.S. you receive the vaccine even if you don’t have American citizenship,” he says. “What is our president for? What are his concerns?”

free vaccines for “tourists” should be the norm, not the exception.

5 Likes

“When viruses enter our bodies, large amounts of money enter our bodies.”

3 Likes

You’d think that they’d have a vast covid-19 specific corpus to work with, considering the international character of the pandemic.

4 Likes

The general conceit of these videos is that they run the text through multiple passes of translations to different languages. Do it enough, and eventually, you’re gonna end up with “my hovercraft is full of eels” :wink:

5 Likes
6 Likes

The less well-received sequel to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Though, possibly still better known than Planes, Trains, and Autorickshaws ?

7 Likes

I got no problem with that.

2 Likes

St. Louis City and County have now officially rescinded most of their public health orders – the county is now down to this:

"We still recommend masks whenever you’re close to people who may not be vaccinated"

Left unsaid: only 21% of Missouri residents are fully vaccinated.

11 Likes

Remember, friends, the easiest way to know if someone is fully vaccinated is to ask them who the President is.

9 Likes

Definitely premature. With only about 1/3rd of the population vaccinated, we still have about 2.5x as many active cases than the maximum we had all the way up until November-December.

Seems like giving up just when things are finally getting better.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Meanwhile… Got my second shot. I can feel the microchips spreading through me… ThE PoWer OF 5G rEwriTinG mY DNA SO I’M NO LONGER EVEN HUMAN… I AM INVINCI… oof, ack, I think I sprained something.

More seriously… arm got more sore than last time, but slower over a much longer time. I put a small cold pack on for a little bit when it started to interfere a little, and it’s fading faster than with the previous shot. Headache, little bit of temperature wierdness, few other small complaints, but I think that’s starting to fade as well (and some of it may be due to a drastic lack of sleep the night before I got the shot). I’ll take it over the alternative.

9 Likes

wow. 1080p versions of monty python So clear! In high school, someone gave me a copy of monty python on ELP VHS. That turned out to be real slog. (My previous exposure was limited to the “All the words” books, and audiotapes.)

5 Likes
13 Likes