Love in the Time of COVID-19

Well there’s yer problem…

3 Likes

I want to say the last film I saw in a theatre was “American Hustle”. And it was at one of the AMC theaters.

1 Like

The last thing I saw in the theaters was Wonder Woman, late in its first run, with my cousin. (It was an Emagine theater.)

I haven’t gone again due to a variety of factors: cost, convenience, life’s dramas, lack of interest, and now covid. I know I’ll eventually be able to stream whatever I want to see, so seeing movies at a theater just isn’t that big of a deal any more. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

They don’t have MJR theaters in NYC? The lines in parens are the ones chanted. And there’s clapping.

I’m so sorry.

3 Likes

I don’t even remember the last movie I saw in a theater. It was after they switched to the fancy recliner chairs, my family talked me into it saying theaters were much better now. I remember going, but I don’t remember what the movie was.

It was a half hour drive there, then waiting in line for concessions, then waiting in line to hand over the ticket, filing into a theater full of other people, where I luckily got an aisle seat so I didn’t have to climb over other people, but of course that meant other people had to climb over me. Then another 30 minutes of commercials before the movie even started. (By then I was ready to go.) Then no subtitles, no pause or rewind, no intermission, so I missed some stuff when I went to the bathroom and out for a smoke. And finally another 30 minute drive back home.

So about 4 hours total, for a totally forgettable Hollywood movie that we could’ve just watched in the comfort of our own home. For normal movies, I don’t understand the appeal.

However, for a cult classic with audience participation, meet-and-greet with the writer, director, and star; or something like that, those can be fun. I got a picture of my wife on stage with the creators of The Devil’s Carnival, and we got to talk to the guy who wrote The Last Unicorn.

I guess it’s a mindset. I’d also rather see local bands in a small venue, a musical by the local actor-singers group, or a play by the local theatre group vs. traveling to a distant venue to sit at the back of a vast arena in the midst of a huge crowd and squint at a distant stage.

6 Likes

I appreciate your sentiment.

Very well-put.

3 Likes

Here’s what they play before movies at the Film Forum.

It’s about 25 years old and we like it that way.

3 Likes

We saw Black Widow Saturday morning because the power was out at our house, we were bored and wanted to be somewhere air conditioned, and at the time they had estimated the power would be back in the early afternoon.

(It wasn’t… it took 44 hours to get power back at our house. We were one of something like 38,000 customers in Missouri with no power from Friday night’s storms.)

Anyway, even for opening day of an MCU movie, at 10 AM it was not crowded at all – maybe one couple of family per row, and it was one of those small 8-row theaters that AMC tends to have a lot of.

We also ate breakfast at a Panera, and lunch at Old Spaghetti Factory, making it the second and third times we’ve eaten in restaurants since the pandemic began. If it weren’t for the power outage we’d not have done it.

8 Likes

the only movie on our radar that we feel is worth seeing on a big screen right now is Villaneuve’s “Dune,” and that’s not coming out until December. Normally in the summer we go to the movies once or twice to enjoy the air conditioning and eat some popcorn, but of course because of COVID we didn’t last year. i think the last thing we saw in a theater was Villaneuve’s “Blade Runner,” actually, and that movie was definitely better on a big screen. such a gorgeous movie.

2 Likes

After the health department’s internal COVID-19 report was circulated on Friday, the rollback of vaccine outreach was further detailed in a Monday email from agency Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tim Jones.

Jones told staff they should conduct “no proactive outreach regarding routine vaccines” and “no outreach whatsoever regarding the HPV vaccine.”

Staff were also told not to do any “pre-planning” for flu shots events at schools.

5 Likes

1 Like

Those fuckers.

The affidavit alleges that Mazi used the COVID-19 pandemic to expand the pre-existing immunization scheme by selling immunization pellets that she fraudulently claimed, in written documents and consensually monitored recordings, would provide “lifelong immunity to COVID-19.” Mazi explained that the pellets contained a “very minute amount of this [COVID-19] disease” that can result in “infectious symptoms” of COVID-19 or “automatically flag[] the immune system’s attention, inducing immunity.” To encourage customers to purchase the pellets, Mazi allegedly exploited disinformation and fear by falsely claiming that the FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccines contain “toxic ingredients.” Mazi further stated that her customers could provide the pellets to children for COVID-19 immunity, and that the “dose is actually the same for babies.”

Mazi also provided CDC COVID-19 vaccination record cards to her customers with instructions on how to fraudulently complete the cards to falsely make it appear as if a customer had received two doses of the Moderna vaccine. As part of her scheme, Mazi provided customers with specific Moderna vaccine lot numbers to enter onto the cards and with instruction on how to select the purported dates on which they had received the Moderna vaccines to evade suspicion.

4 Likes

What a cunt.

1 Like

SPOILER: I found the “West Side Story” reference to be hilarious.

3 Likes

Just set your Youtube playback speed to 0.25 or 0.50.

But really, how did they choose 120 bpm?

2 Likes

From the interwebz:
Heart rate: What's normal? - Mayo Clinic.

Excerpt:
"A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats per minute.

“Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats per minute.”

I’m guessing they might be thinking along these lines…so people don’t dance or workout to music to the point where their heart rates go up too quickly? I know, this is a far-off guess, lol.

1 Like

So people’s heart rate syncs to the beat of songs being played? Hmm.

1 Like