Love in the Time of COVID-19

See also Dr. Joseph Goldberger. Man who discovered the cause of pellagra. But he was a northerner and jewish, so the south decided he was merely attacking the southern way of life.

4 Likes
6 Likes

I love it when people do the right thing.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I am seething.

5 Likes

Me too. Once she interviewed the woman who’s son was so sick with it and still refused to get vaccinated (“I don’t trust the government”), I had to turn it off.

If I’m not mistaken, corporations developed the vaccines and are selling it, not the government. The government is just trying to help with distribution and getting the word out and paying for it.

6 Likes

But she was told by people who ran the government not to trust the government! And they work for the government, so of COURSE, they can be trusted! :roll_eyes:

What the fuck kinda logic is that, anyhow? There’s gotta be some Latin word or term for it.

7 Likes

“gummit”

1 Like

stultus?

2 Likes

That’s not Latin.

1 Like

Nooo, like in debate class, when you learn about the different arguments and logic, they’ve almost all of them have a Latin name. Like “Ad Hominem”.

1 Like

And for context, in case you are thinking Tuscaloosa is some backwater - that’s where the University of Alabama is. It’s a highly educated population for Alabama.

3 Likes

I followed the URL, so you don’t have to.

1 Like

Jibbers Crabst! They couldn’t have made that text box a little wider so “it” was on the same line as “keep”?!?!?!?! Fer realz? That’s the least of the sins with this terrible person, but it shouldn’t take a professional to see that it doesn’t look as good as it could.

7 Likes

aside from the egregious typography that @CleverEmi points out, i really really hate how the frothing right wingers have drug the Betsy Ross flag into their pool of things they have tainted.

7 Likes

Union Pacific, the nation’s largest publicly traded railroad, halted all eastbound traffic from the ports of Los Angeles, Long Beach, Oakland and Tacoma, starting July 19, for at least one week. BNSF Railway, which boasts one of North America’s largest freight rail network, said it was reducing the flow of containers from Los Angeles and Long Beach for two weeks in what it called “a somewhat unprecedented” move.

It’s likely these issues will persist through the end of the year

White House economists say interruptions in the supply […] are contributing to the highest inflation in 13 years.

“Everybody hopes for [the] new normal to be next quarter. It’s not going to be.”

“Nobody can get anything,” he said. “Do your Christmas shopping now.”

Retailers only have enough goods on hand for a bit more than one month of sales, near the lowest level of inventory since 1992, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. So imports are likely to remain at high levels for the rest of the year, meaning more strain for beleaguered supply lines.

“There’s really no relief,” Volpe said. “I see it getting worse with the new strain of covid in the developing nations we produce in.

4 Likes

Meanwhile…

5 Likes

I don’t know about the rest of the country, but in NY we’ve never stopped wearing them.

7 Likes

I’ve not worn one only once when I’ve been to a store, and it was a dispensary. Those have less foot traffic than other retailers, plus the ones I go to most often are kept super-clean.

But naw, I ain’t gonna stop wearing it goin’ to bigger places wit’ more folks in 'em, no sirree!

2 Likes