Love in the Time of COVID-19

We appear to be attracting some attention from across the pond, BTW:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, when my son & I went to that Thai Food Street Festival, we parked in front of a house with a T/P 2020 sign and an “Unmask Our Children” sign on the front lawn.

3 Likes

Incidentally, if you Google “China” and “but at what cost?”, you get a nice little demonstration of Western corporate media in action.

3 Likes

The Spirit of Tasmania is being temporarily shut down; ten of the crew are in isolation in Devonport as close contacts of a mainland Covid positive case.

3 Likes

Highly evocative of Brunner.

Petronella Page.

In the novel, Petronella is a recurring character who hosts a corporate media news/talk show. Early in the book, it’s your normal hyperproduced polished thing. As the book progresses, the disintegration and chaos gradually intrudes into the studio.

3 Likes

They probably shouldn’t have been hired in the first place.

8 Likes
6 Likes

The African Rook.

(no, I didn’t purposely go to gawk at the plague ship; just took some snaps in passing and didn’t realise what it was until today)

4 Likes
6 Likes

named after the Corvid?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s named after what that Nigerian prince does with his emails.

1 Like
6 Likes

Among Democrats, the median view of the vaccines’ efficacy is about right for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people. The median vaccinated Democrat says the vaccines are about 88 percent effective at reducing hospitalizations, while the median unvaccinated Democrats pegs the number at 80 percent. The median vaccinated Republican is less sold on the efficacy of the vaccines even than the median unvaccinated Democrat, estimating a 73 percent reduction in hospitalization from the vaccines they’ve taken. But again, that’s in the ballpark.

Which brings us to unvaccinated Republicans. The median unvaccinated Republican believes that the percentage of unvaccinated people like themselves requiring hospitalization is 5 percent. How does that compare to how they believe the vaccinated fare? It’s exactly the same. They believe the hospitalization rate for vaccinated people is also 5 percent. So the median unvaccinated Republican essentially says the vaccines have net-zero efficacy — i.e. there is no benefit to getting vaccinated when it comes to landing in the hospital.

6 Likes

Zero new Covid cases today in Tasmania, South Australia, Queensland and the Northern Territory. One case in Western Australia.

NSW and Victoria still totally fucked (although not as fucked as they were a week ago), ACT struggling to avoid joining NSW.

Political and business leadership in the Covid states are desperately advocating for the uninfected regions to open their borders, presumably in an attempt to spread infection and thereby prove that their situations were inevitable (rather than the predictable consequence of deliberately chosen policy).

4 Likes

Chess-inspired, I’d expect. African Queen -> African Rook.

2 Likes

Nice!

The bird’s range does not include Africa.

1 Like

Vaccines have been approved for Dutch 12-17-year-olds but under-17s need the consent of both parents.

The boy’s mother has supported his court action. The couple are divorced.

Dutch law says that if the parents cannot agree, a judge should rule in the best interests of the child.

6 Likes

And yes, the local Costco is out of toilet paper again, despite having rationed it.

5 Likes

According to this @BreitbartNews Op-Ed, liberals are pushing the vaccine aggressively because if liberals are for it, #MAGA will be against it, and #MAGA will die, therefore handing liberals more elections.

It’s good to see I’m not the only one whose mind immediately went to the iocaine powder scene…

13 Likes

Oh, this is precious, simply precious!

2 Likes