Love in the Time of COVID-19

The ruling frees public school leaders across Arizona to require students, staff and visitors to wear masks on campus. The law banning that authority was scheduled to take effect on Wednesday.

A host of other policies adopted as part of the budget are also voided, including a ban on vaccine requirements for public universities, community colleges and local governments, anti-fraud measures for ballots and a ban on teaching critical race theory in public schools.

4 Likes

I have a cousin who lives in AZ and is ex-military and is a 45 supporter, and so his his daughter,l whom I believe lives in CO and was a pen pal of mine as a teen. I hope they’re shitting their pants.

2 Likes

Sen. Kirk Hatcher, D-Montgomery, said he has some concerns about building prisons with money that he said was set aside to mitigate the ongoing pandemic crisis.

“Remember, we are now still number one in the country for deaths,” Hatcher said of Alabama’s COVID-19 death rate that recently led the country.

Republican legislative leaders said they are comfortable they can legally use the funds because the American Rescue Plan, in addition to authorizing the dollars for economic and health care programs, says states can use the money to replace revenue lost during the pandemic to strengthen support for vital public services and help retain jobs.

…

6 Likes

In a hospital in Branson, Missouri, as many as 400 staff members will have panic buttons added to their identification badges after assaults on staff members tripled amid the pandemic. Assaults rose from 40 in 2019 to 123 in 2020, the Associated Press reported. The numbers for 2021 have not been released. When pressed, the panic buttons will immediately alert hospital security and trigger a tracking system to locate the endangered worker.

Jackie Gatz, vice president of safety and preparedness for the Missouri Hospital Association, told the AP that, in addition to panic buttons, hospitals are also adding extra security cameras and having security personnel wear body cameras. A hospital in Springfield, Missouri, added security dogs, as well as panic buttons. Gatz noted that staff are also receiving training on de-escalation and physical protection tactics, such as keeping a hospital bed between a nurse and an agitated person.

In Idaho, health facilities are also beefing up security. COVID-related misinformation has spread like wildfire in the region, and patients have become belligerent.

“We’ve had reports of physical violence, verbal abuse, demands for alternative treatment that are not acceptable or approved. And those become very difficult conversations to have as the patient continues to decompensate,” Brian Whitlock, president of the Idaho Hospital Association, told the AP.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the term “decompensate” before. After a quick dictionary lookup, that’s an interesting term to know.

8 Likes
4 Likes

The cruelty is the point.

In the early days of the pandemic, we’ve heard stories of prisoners contracting Covid at rates that far exceeded the rates outside. Has that trend held up generally?

(I ran the numbers and found that 14% of Alabamans got covid so far, but “only” 7% of inmates in AL). Weird.

1994 inmate cases vs 795000 total.

granted, it’s Branson, MO. this is the same area where Lake of the Ozarks is, where earlier over the summer there was that story about it being packed with people who were all “pandemic? what pandemic? let’s PARTY, WHOOOO!”

3 Likes

Victoria is not doing well:

Still not quite as bad as a normal day in New York, though.

3 Likes

And the stupidity continues…

5 Likes

She also left her FB page set on public - it’s a bloodbath there.

4 Likes

The lawsuit alleges that the vaccine mandate forces service members, federal employees, and federal employees to “inject themselves with: (1) a non-FDA approved product; (2) against their will; and (3) without informed consent.”

They get all three of their bullet points, that their case relies on, wrong? That’s impressive.

“There is perhaps no greater usurpation of fundamental constitutional rights than forcibly injecting a foreign substance into an American citizen,”

Good thing no one is doing that in this case. Next!

8 Likes

Um, did they serve overseas…don’tcha have to get vaccinated vs. lots of icky diseases depending on where you’re sent?

7 Likes

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you have to get a lot of vaccinations even if you’re not sent overseas.

But, yes, if you’re sent overseas, it’s even more so. And if you’re stationed with family, the dependents get it, too!

9 Likes

If they actually stayed isolated at home, we should be okay.

OTOH, this was just last week:

6 Likes

Update:

The Fountainside is an old hotel that was bought by UTAS shortly pre-pandemic, with the intention of using it for student accommodation. It’s now being used as a quarantine facility.

2 Likes
15 Likes
9 Likes

As someone who started drinking around 16 and going to bars around 17, I’ve always found the teen movie fake ID drama thing funny.

Like sure, they’ll put an X on your hand instead of a stamp, or a different colored wristband. But that doesn’t stop your friends from buying a round of drinks or a pitcher to share. And at the stores they only card the person they’re selling to.

Getting a fake ID and trying to pass it off always just seemed like people were trying to get caught and get kicked out. Or that they saw it in a movie and don’t know that real life isn’t Hollywood.

5 Likes

Razzafrazzinsonuvagrrr…

Guess who went to Launceston for the first time in months on Saturday.

4 Likes

An indeterminate number of teenagers, all exposed, who presumably then scattered across Launceston visiting fuck knows how many other locations.

Stupid kids are just stupid kids, but I could cheerfully give his parents a thorough kicking.

—

I should be fine. I was already headed back home by the time that the daft little scrote went to the supermarket.

6 Likes