Love in the Time of COVID-19

5 Likes

More contagious idiocy spreads to Canada:

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Overall ivermectin prescribing increased 964 percent in December 2020 compared with prepandemic prescription levels in 2019. But those December 2020 prescriptions werenā€™t evenly distributed; the counties with the highest shares of Republican votes had the highest levels of ivermectin prescribing. In fact, the higher the share of Republican votes in a county, the higher the level of ivermectin prescribing.

3 Likes

And, the higher level of covid hospitalizations, intubations, and death.

4 Likes

One of the protest organisers, Bob Bolus, told a local Fox News TV station that his group aimed to shut down the Beltway, a highway that surrounds Washington. ā€œIā€™ll give you an analogy of that of a giant boa constrictor. That basically squeezes you, chokes you and it swallows you, and thatā€™s what weā€™re going to do DC,ā€ he said.

6 Likes

I grew up watching movies like Smokey And The Bandit and Convoy and the idea always seemed cool back then. But in those cases the truckers were on the side of good, standing together against corrupt politicians and such.

I donā€™t know how theyā€™ll reconcile being on the side of evil. Kinda hope the U.S. takes the same approach as the Canadians - freeze their accounts for funding terrorism, tow the trucks, and sort it out later.

An amusing article I read said that lots of the arrested Canadians were trying to claim their First Amendment rights, and arguing that they werenā€™t read their Miranda rights. As if they didnā€™t know that they werenā€™t in the U.S. Those protesters are clearly not the brightest bulbs in the onion garden.

8 Likes
2 Likes

I finally got my third shot today; arm is just starting to get properly sore now.

Yesterday, I heard from some of my Sydney friends that one of their kids has Covid (caught it at school). The mum is an Oncology technician, so someoneā€™s getting their cancer care understaffed or delayed as a result.

6 Likes

Nice (the shot, not the pain). I felt pretty crap for a couple of days, but itā€™s a small price to pay really

7 Likes

Yeah I got my booster nine days ago (Thu week). Had a sore arm for about five days and was a bit feverish for the first two days. Got me outta working Fri morning (start 4.30am) so it all balances out!

5 Likes

Oh. Lovely.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Well, shit. Weā€™re not hunters, but I do like a good venison steak. Most hunters around here butcher themselves, I wonder how much risk there is for COVID.

Speaking of COVID, the second person I know has died of it. The father of a friend that Iā€™ve mostly lost contact with, when she moved away. Another one who though it was a hoax. Sigh.

7 Likes

Covid infections in Tasmania are currently running at around 1,000/day, although this is barely mentioned in the local media.

Yet another reason to never leave my land.

4 Likes

I know how you feel.

2 Likes
4 Likes

That was what they were saying 2 years ago too. I guess itā€™s good to have more data to confirm it, but I donā€™t know why the people in the story are so surprised by it.

4 Likes

Conspiracy-theory-wise, the pandemic benefited Putin and the rich conspiracy theory mongers themselves the most, when it didnā€™t kill them or a useful friend. And the current flu has similarities with something called the Russian flu from like, 1878 or whatever, and the Arctic is melting. Man, the conspiracy guys gotta work harder at this shit, because the real world writes itself. Thereā€™s a thing called WELL-FOUNDED speculation that these fuckers have taken the fun out of.

5 Likes