Love in the Time of COVID-19

Since it fits with the thread title so perfectly…

10 Likes

I mentioned the death of a family friend, and well, there have been more. That person’s best friend died last week, and that second family has had a very rough time of it. This gentleman, his son in law, and an infant granddaughter all died within the last two months, all of covid. This is all happening in a town with fewer than 200 people, and my SO was the only person at the funeral in a mask. An usher actually asked him to remove it, he said “no” and walked past them. That person was miffed and started to argue, but the other usher intervened. So ridiculous.

So, this person my partner knows, he lost his dad, his brother-in-law, a niece, and his honorary uncle. And, he said there was no reason to get the vaccine because he’d already spent months in the ICU with covid. My SO tried to tell him that he’s not actually immune, even if that’s what the doctors told him in May 2020, we’ve learned a lot since then. In the middle of all the grief, he just told him he wished he would get the shot, because he didn’t want to go to more funerals.

He’s still kind of an outsider in the town, because the only way to be an insider is to be born there, but he is becoming sort of an elder statesman of the community just because so many others have died. Plus everybody knows if you need farm equipment fixed, even if is 80 years old, he can do it, so everybody knows him.

9 Likes
4 Likes

And so is the stupidity.

4 Likes

“There is no pandemic if we just stop talking about it”.

6 Likes

I wonder if any of those folks have seen this?

Or this?

3 Likes

Hah? Did they mean “take”?

1 Like

2 Likes
4 Likes

Once again: herd immunity is a concept that absolutely relies upon long-lasting and reliable protection from reinfection after vaccination or infection. When dealing with a disease that has a significant ability to reinfect or bypass vaccination, it is simply not an applicable concept. It doesn’t exist.

Anyone continuing to speak as if “herd immunity” is attainable by vaccination and infection alone is either lying or dangerously ignorant. In either case, they are unfit to be anywhere near political power.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Goblin mode in the beginning made sense, but at a certain point cottage core will be needed for survival. Sounds like peoples got things turned around.

4 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

Even at my age, I’d still be surprised to see my name on a gas-station-souvenir license plate. I’m even more surprised to see other people with that name!

American Rustic? I dunno…I mean, I read the Little House books and was disappointed at Ma’s creed of “the only good Indian is a dead Indian”, since I was raised to think otherwise…

And I guess having folks that grew up during the GD is like, Um well, yeah my folks lived cottagecore before it was a thing"…also, Dad was a subscriber to The Mother Earth News when they first started publishing in 1973…

But I do understand wanting to STFA from people during a pandemic. Maybe “The Stand” should become required reading

2 Likes
2 Likes

“The World”.

4 Likes

Tassie cracks the 2,000/day milestone:

Meanwhile, are the Tasmanian government responding by rushing masks and air purifiers into schools and businesses?

No, they’re doing this:

Reviving last year’s attempt at criminalising union and protest activity.

1 Like
3 Likes