Love in the Time of COVID-19

You’re totally correct and that’s a valid and important point. It’s what people with a disability have been dealing with.

2 Likes

This scene came into my mind re all those who caught the virus and are surviving its after-effectgs.

1 Like

I’ve been feeling really, really sick since my booster on Tuesday. Awful migraines, fatigue, dizziness, more migraines waking me up after every few hours of sleep… Any idea how long this can last?

2 Likes

Has anyone recovered from the booster? How?

2 Likes

Every virus has a right to life.

2 Likes

For me, it was ibuprofen and rest and bitching.

2 Likes

The sickness is your immune system doing its thing. At least you won’t be drowning in spit for two weeks.

3 Likes

I honestly didn’t have any symptoms from either booster except general fatigue and arm soreness. I napped a lot the day after.

4 Likes

Not Covid, but… this really isn’t what we need.

7 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

I guess fewer and fewer people have a direct connection to a loved one harmed by polio. My great uncle lost the use of his legs, and was confined to his home, because there were so few accommodations in central america for the disabled. It makes me feel kind of militant about vaccinations, why would a person not want to do everything possible to avoid that, what that is not even the worst possible outcome?

8 Likes

My son’s paternal grandfather had it as a child, but overcame it. And my ex-boyfriend/musical partner/still friend also had it as a child.

And of course they have no idea what it can do to a person because (snark) they won’t get it, the ignoramuses.

4 Likes

These people are sick.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Well, after over 2 and a half years of successfully avoiding it, I finally got it. Tested positive last night. Wife tested positive this morning.

Grandpa had it when he died and we spent a lot of time over the last week in his room going through his stuff, so I expect we caught it there. We wore masks, but took them off in there where we weren’t going to be interacting with anyone. Might’ve caught it in the airport or something, but more likely it was spending a lot of time in a place that’d just had a covid outbreak.

Work sent me a delivery of herbal tea and chicken soup and snacks and stuff, which was super nice.

We’re set up for quarantine - me in my office, wife upstairs, and daughter downstairs. It’s good that we have that ability to isolate from each other. The cats though, they want lots of snuggles, and it’s breaking my heart to just say no, step away, I can’t touch you.

Called the doctor to see if I can get the treatment - paxlovid or whatever, but no response yet. Wife’s doctor responded right away and she’s cleared for it at least.

So far, it mostly just feels like a sinus infection, physically unpleasant, but not that bad really. But mentally there’s definitely some brain fog. For instance, I’m not really sure if I’ve already posted this or not. But I think not. And I have written or digital notes about the important stuff like bills and so on. Gonna write down some more stuff just in case it gets worse.

9 Likes

Overall a good read, but this one line from COVID-19 Response Coordinator Ashish Jha:

In advocating for Americans to get both shots this fall, he added: “I really believe this is why God gave us two arms—one for the flu shot and the other one for the COVID shot.”

Even if we can ignore the casual ableism, there is a lot to unpack in that specific choice of words.

8 Likes

Well, at least that statement presumes that God approves of science, including vaccines. And that concept right there could convince some folks to get vaccinated (not that I believe that was the intent of the statement). Shitty way to go about it, IMNSHO

5 Likes

Day 3(?) of having Covid. I called the doctor back and they approved me for Paxlovid treatment, and I took the first dose as soon as I got it. Everyone’s saying I should have some horrible awful taste/smell as a side effect, but so far, nothing like that. Wife says it’s really terrible for her, but I legit do not have this side-effect yet at all. Guess we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

I don’t remember much of yesterday except I did call in for a couple of Zoom meetings at work and watched a couple episodes of The Jeffersons. The rest is kinda just a haze.

Good news is, I wasn’t scheduled for anything critical at work, and even if I were top notch, I still couldn’t really do anything much, because we’re still trying to figure out the next stuff I’m going to be working on. So it’s a great time to be knocked out.

Today I just took it easy and slept into afternoon. That was when I called the doc and got the prescription.

I think I’m just going to watch a couple more shows, or maybe a movie, take my meds, and then go back to sleep. Overall, it’s not pleasant, I do feel sick, but it’s not superbad either. The brain fog thing though, that’s difficult. I’m lucid in the moment, but I can’t really remember anything of the last few days. That is awkward - having to look back through the history to see who you have or haven’t messaged and stuff.

9 Likes