Love in the Time of COVID-19

7 Likes

“It’d be like if we went to NASA and they were using astrological charts to try to figure out how to get a rocket to Europa,” Leibel said.

5 Likes

IMG_20200408_150032 IMG_20200408_150037 IMG_20200408_150023

These are cotton and cotton blends; the blue one feels like linen or a good impostor. The one on the lower left came from a remnant that had the Mary Quant (look her up) imprint (so many designers become brands…) From l to r, top to bottom, I used shoelaces, narrow satin ribbon, seam binding, and shower-puff cords to make tie straps.

My testing consists of putting one tightly over my face, holding it with my hand, then faking a cough or a sneeze, holding my other hand in front of my mouth. If I don’t feel a lot coming out, it passed. All of the masks are double-layered and hand-sewn.

5 Likes

I don’t know how to put this, but…I just want to die reading after reading just the headline. I don’t want to commit suicide; I just don’t want to live in a world where this sort of stuff happens.

4 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2020/04/08/43369937/welcome-to-tomorrowland-what-we-must-do-to-remake-the-post-coronavirus-city

2 Likes
6 Likes

Chicago didn’t HAVE a trauma center (Level 1/2) in the traditionally African-American part of town (south side) until 10 months ago.

Yeah, you read that right: 2019.

10 Likes
10 Likes

Well, if we don’t have tests, then we won’t have numbers, and we all know that the president doesn’t like it when numbers make him look bad, it’s basically treason. /s

11 Likes
3 Likes

I suppose I’ve been oblivious to the situation, but while thinking about getting some sort of webcam to replace the pretty feeble offering on my imac…

B&H will teach you when the high Holidays are (it’s passover!), but you’ll be waiting far longer than a week, should you need a webcam.

I should be grateful for what I’ve got.

1 Like

Yup. Same thing with Adorama. Ray Milland ran into a similar problem in Lost Weekend.
Now I challenge you to discover what B&H means!

2 Likes

Big and Hairy?

1 Like

Not much of a challenge-- Blimie & Herman it’s in the ads youtube serves up. I subscribe to way too many photography channels.

A filmed TV is gauche, but I suppose it’s what the MPAA’s copyright police want us to do.

1 Like

I’ve now read about 15 P.G. Wodehouse novels (and a bunch of shorter works, a lot of which is on Project Gutenberg.) I must say, they are great for escaping today’s reality. However, the one I’m reading now, The Adventures of Sally, while also funny, has a minor character catch and recover from the 1918 flu. Very weird.

Another of my escapes has been comedian Sarah Millican. I’ve watched two of her full-length performances on YouTube. Hilarious!

4 Likes

That and Baruch HaShem.

But I feel we’re getting away from COVID-19.

1 Like

Beaver and Hornbeam?

Wikipedia it, you gutter-minded plebian. :wink:

3 Likes

That raises a grim question: What’ll it take before everyone personally knows someone who died from Covid-19? As of this writing, more than 11,800 people have died from it in the United States. (And that death toll may be an undercount.) If knowing one of those people would make the pandemic concrete for someone—real and actionable—how many have to die before every American knows one of the dead?

6 Likes

I found out that the silk velvet mask was too porous; my new test is blowing out a candle with my mouth at least six inches away from the flame. If it just moves, cool. I was able to blow it out with the aforementioned mask, though. I have one I’m going to make from leopard-print corduroy, tomorrow.

2 Likes