Love in the Time of COVID-19

People are scapegoating bats.

2 Likes

And thereā€™s no telling how many deaths havenā€™t been attributed to the virus due to lack of testing in various areas.

7 Likes
3 Likes

At current rates of around 2000 per day, weā€™re less than 2 weeks from having as many deaths from this as the U.S. did from 20 years of Vietnam War, and already have more than twice as many confirmed cases as our total wounded from that 20 years of war. Thatā€™s in only about a monthā€™s time, and with the shutdowns in place. Itā€™s just a bit under the equivalent of one 9/11 attack per day.

But for a couple weeks now weā€™ve been fairly steady at around 30,000 new cases per day, which shows that the shutdown is clearly working. Itā€™s preventing exponential growth. Itā€™s saving lives.

So of course now people have to get out and protest against it. :roll_eyes: This is America.

12 Likes

Not stupid, evil.

10 Likes

President Bolsonaro had publicly criticised Mr Mandetta for urging people to observe social distancing and stay indoors. The Brazilian leader disagreed with these measures, instead downplaying the virus as ā€œa little fluā€.

5 Likes
8 Likes

or

:white_check_mark: Die in agony because youā€™ve been listening to Fox News downplay the pandemic.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Take that, Betteridge!

5 Likes

From the comments there:

Bong Joon-Ho furiously scribbling notes for a sequel

4 Likes
4 Likes

Ever since my grocery store decided to devote its shelfspace to keurig cups, finding ā€œwhole beanā€ coffee has been a real treasure hunt. If one adds a mask and foggy glasses, the simple act of buying beans becomes insanely difficult.

damn you, ā€œsubtleā€ branding clues!

4 Likes

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2010025

At what point is this levying warā€¦?

10 Likes

Anyone else found some odd items missing or in overabundance at the grocery store?

I ended up buying the last Garlic Powder from my local shop this week. Not even the last container of my preferred brand, but the last jar of any garlic powder.

All-beef franks are not to be found, but I understand that due to their simplicity.

Cilantro. Not even the pricey Organic stuff.

Eggs though. I guess lack of Easter purchasing left a glut on the market. Tons of eggs.

7 Likes
6 Likes

I went shopping the other day at Meijer and saw more folks wearing masks, but among those who didnā€™t a horrid lact of social distancing. And idiots are throwing their masks and gloves on the ground. SIGH!!!

Bread was back to buy as many as one wants, instead of being limited to one. Cleaning supplies and TP - ha! Margarine was completely gone the trip before that, this time Iā€™d found some. So yeah, itā€™s getting weirder. My MI bridge card got reloaded today, so I have to go out again. Decompressing after shopping is not fun.

3 Likes

Had a conversation yesterday with a contractor here in rural Indiana who told me not to go to Meijer but instead a different grocery store owned by locals, because Meijer customers are the sort of lazy pigs who throw their gloves on the ground in the parking lot when they get back to their cars. Knowing both stores, and the clientele in each, I knew exactly what he was really saying: prejudiced rural whites are much classier people than poor blacks. And for the record: lots more abandoned gloves in the parking lots of stores frequented by white Hoosiers. Meijerā€™s customers might be more diverse, but they arenā€™t more slovenly. Amazing what some people can ā€˜seeā€™, despite evidence to the contrary.

9 Likes

Interesting history thread:

4 Likes

But got little recognition

Not surprised

4 Likes