Love in the Time of COVID-19

Gosh, I wonder why that was? /s

5 Likes
1 Like

HUH?

1 Like
4 Likes

Itā€™s not like I never made a typoā€¦but I do try to proof before posting.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little sick of people not reading their historyā€¦ but then again, historians are constantly treated like shit, soā€¦

8 Likes
4 Likes

Itā€™s nice when the people who set up sites like that donā€™t understand whatā€™s available with whois information. Though, it looks like Redditā€™s been removing the whois evidence (due to the anti-doxxing policies) and the person registering the sites has cleaned their whois up.

11 Likes

FWIW, this is his side of itā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™m considering deleting my post due to this, although there are apparently some oddities with his story as well. Of course, he also says he was trying to block some other small group that was originally setting these up, so thereā€™s that.

Could be a variant on Poeā€™s Lawā€¦

3 Likes

If I was more pessimistic, I might wonder if he was ā€˜just hoping to recoup his costs and get them to the people that could use themā€™ in the same way as the guy who bought 17000 bottles of hand sanitizer and said the same once he was found out.

6 Likes

11 Likes

He said the protesters were ā€œpatriotsā€ for defending individual freedoms.

As well as demanding an end to the lockdown, some of those attending the rally also held up signs calling for Brazilā€™s Congress and the Supreme Court to be closed down.

Others said they wanted the military to take over the handling of the coronavirus crisis.

1 Like

I wrote this, then read it over, and itā€™s just a rant. Feel free to skip my wall of text.

Iā€™m a freelancer / very small business. I have one client who is consistently 80% of my business. Which, Iā€™ve been told that this means I have a ā€œjobā€ not a business, but I think that person was already looking down on me. Thatā€™s whatever at this point. I pay my own taxes (both employee and employer portions) so I donā€™t have a ā€œjobā€.

I send monthly invoices, which are typically paid in 15-20 days, so my income is somewhere around 30-45 days in arrears. This has been fine, for nearly 10 years.

This year to date Iā€™m off by 30%, which is crummy but survivable. This quarter to date, Iā€™m off by 54%. So far. Still, this is survivable.

But, Iā€™m thinking that I ought to apply for unemployment, which I cannot typically do in my state because Iā€™m not an employee. Itā€™s not because Iā€™m in a bad situation now, but if this goes on for a long time, I will be. It feels kind of crummy to get myself in line, potentially ahead of someone who needs the money nowFUCKINGnow. You know, like Ruths Criss getting so much of the loan money intended for small businesses. Thatā€™s shitty. I donā€™t want to do that.

BUT, the unemployment money is likely to be the only kind of help I can get from the government. In theory Iā€™ll get that $1200, but Iā€™ll believe it when I deposit the check.

BUT, our pantry is stocked, and others have less. I have a savings account, and others donā€™t. I have a partner, while others are on their own. We donā€™t have kids, and others do. I can grow a garden, but others donā€™t have a way to do that.

A true capitalist will say ā€œget what you can, screw the restā€ but that feels wrong. Boil all this down, and all I get is a syrup of ā€œhow to be ethical in a system devoid of ethicsā€. Itā€™s a bitter thing.

If I was an economist, maybe I could talk myself out of this dead end, but Iā€™m a philosopher (I once even got paid for it) so I just want to get drunk and smoke all the cigarettes (which I quit in 2014).

BUT, I canā€™t get drunk, because if my big client needs something, I definitely want to be able to do it and earn something. Plus I want to be just where I am, when they are able start up their marketing efforts again. And, I donā€™t really want to smoke, because the point of quitting was my health, and now is not the time to put oneā€™s lungs in a more precarious circumstance.

Maybe this is
anxiety
{multiplied by} depression
in the time of coronavirus.

And, if that is all it was, then Iā€™d just keep on trucking like I usually do, but itā€™s really
anxiety
{multiplied by} depression
{multiplied by} coronavirus
{multiplied by} racism
{multiplied by} the number of people who donā€™t care how many people die as long as they are never inconvenienced and they get to stay rich.

The racism isnā€™t even directed at me, but it makes the world immeasurably worse at every turn.

Fuckity-fuck-fucking-fuck. Sob.

15 Likes
4 Likes

You are talking about unemployment benefits as if they were charity. They are not and they shouldnā€™t be.

Donā€™t lie. Donā€™t cheat. If you qualify fair and square, then that money is your right and you are meant to have it.

16 Likes

In addition to the excellent answers youā€™ve already been given, Iā€™d add that there is a very real possibility that (like the coronavirus) things can go from slightly bad to absolutely critical very quickly, and at that time, waiting for the process to complete could put you very much into the OMG-I-need-it-yesterday camp.

12 Likes

I have also had bouts of depression and anxiety thatā€™s much worse since the pandemic started, despite being in a relatively good place. So youā€™re not alone. Take care of yourself, whatever you decide you have to do. And ditto what others have said.

10 Likes

I suggest you have a conversation with your client.

4 Likes
5 Likes