Love in the Time of COVID-19

The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment. But with 368 patients, it’s the largest look so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19, which has killed more than 171,000 people as of Tuesday.

4 Likes

According to this obit, her work on hepatitis

(cited by 503)

(cited by 510)
was more important than her work on coronaviridae

The Morphology of Three Previously Uncharacterized Human Respiratory Viruses that Grow in Organ Culture
(cited by 160)

Probably the best way to achieve notoriety as a virologist is to name an interesting taxon after yourself. She didn’t, so she was known mostly to other virologists.

5 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of posts about baking and cooking during quarantine/self-isolation, but none of them seem to address the following:

1. Baking and cooking require ingredients, either fresh or shelf-stable. They can be obtained via delivery (which isn’t affordable and/or available for everyone), or by going out and risking catching or spreading COVID-19. Also, they cost money. Not everyone is able to work from home.
  2. Baking and cooking require the use of energy, such as electricity and/or natural gas. Utility companies want to be paid for supplying access to those and other forms of energy. Again, not everyone is able to work from home, or pay their bills from home via phone or internet.
  3. Baking and cooking require clean-up, which means dishwashing detergent - for hand- and/or machine-washing (the latter also uses energy mentioned in item 2) and water, both which cost money. Access to clean water is also an issue. Yet again, not everyone is able to work from home.
    What really got me was a Food Network promo encouraging folks to bake and cook while stuck at home. I’m guessing that FN hosts are doing their shows from home and getting paid; also, that they have at least enough dough (get it, lol?) socked away to last them for six months. Do they realize that not everyone who has access to and watches their shows can’t or won’t be able to afford to bake and cook any more than is necessary during this crisis? Okay, I’m done.

I did the same on FB, and I think it’s great to rant sometimes. Take as much advantage of what you are entitled to as a taxpayer - yes, ENTITLED - and a citizen of the supposedly-greatest-nation-on-Earth but not beyond the point where you can’t live with yourself. Rationalize a little in your own favor, it’s okay to do that sometimes too.

As a person who also endures anxiety and depression, as well as also being a person who cares about others, I know where you’re coming from. Even as poverty-stricken as I am (which isn’t as much as so many others on this planet), I still want to to what’s best for me AND the greater good. And how can I take care of others and what I have if I don’t take care of myself?

7 Likes

Okay, this makes it serious INDEED - anyone who had doubts before shouldn’t have them after reading this:

6 Likes

So did the POTUS pull a Col. Klink, then - “Ho-GAN!”?

2 Likes
5 Likes

This shows what a good journalist can do. I was surprised to read that the gent who wrote it was a sports reporter. I hope the SLT and other news outlets are giving reporters whose beats are basically non-existent for now assignments that are relevant and keep them working.

4 Likes

For people who buy a lot of processed food, baking something from scratch saves money over purchasing pre-made.

5 Likes

As if the news can’t get worse, COVID-19 seems to be causing tiny blood clots:

No wonder it’s damaging so many organs. I’m beginning to think this is worse than HIV, in that you can get it from anyone who happens to be alive in your vicinity.

ETA: article in the Washpost:

7 Likes

[C]ontrolling for a rich set of county-level demographics (including the local market share of Fox News), greater local viewership of Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is associated with a greater number of COVID-19 cases starting in early March and a greater number of deaths resulting from COVID-19 starting in mid-March. In a set of permutation tests across socio-economic, demographic, political, and health-related covariates, as well as across geographical fixed effects to account for unobservable factors, we show that the established relationship is highly robust. Indeed, the estimated effects of exposure become stronger as we control for more factors.

7 Likes

And if by chance Biden wins the election (if held), the second Great Depression will be blamed on him (and of course believed by the deplorables).

7 Likes

That’s for sure!

2 Likes

Building a spice cabinet from scratch can be an expensive undertaking. As well as buying pots and pans. If it weren’t for COVID, a novice cook would be best served by shopping around for the best deals.

Plus–an experienced cook knows how much things should cost, and how to substitute ingredients. I’ve been cooking my own meals for decades, and yet–I was completely flummoxed when the stores suddenly ran out of baking powder. In my confusion, I “stocked up on”

which is three times the price of my usual brand. Oops.

Yeah, I know about potassium tartrate and baking soda. I was out of creme of tartar, as I never use it.

2 Likes
2 Likes

They still have to be able to afford the ingredients and a way to bake them. I worry about my electric bill from using the oven.

4 Likes

Hmm, check the “use by” dates. I think baking powder loses potency after a while.

ETA: I wonder if freezing it would extend it?

1 Like

best if used by 4 Dec 2020. I think I’m ok.

let’s see: 12 g per use, 226 g per can. should last a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

Once a week should do it!

1 Like

er, pancakes, scones, muffins, cornbread, biscuits. Let’s be honest, here. If I used baking powder but once a week, I would have resisted the purge to “panic buy”.

2 Likes

Ok now I’m hungry again. That sounds great.

2 Likes