Love in the Time of COVID-19

That’s the plan for tomorrow’s shopping. He’ll video call me, and show me the veg. Hopefully it works out OK.

The way I learned to cook, from mom, was a process of looking at what we had, and finding a way to make that set of items into food that 6 people would eat. I still do that, sort of. Trying to food prep based on recipes just doesn’t work the way my brain does.

He can technically cook a couple of things, but I can only deal with brown beans with ham hock, or roast turkey, so many times before I despair the lack of a vegetable. So, I do 99% of the cooking.

The up side of him doing the shopping is that he made sure we have plenty of flour and yeast, before they went out of stock. He doesn’t seem capable of buying one of anything, but with pantry items, it’s very cool. It’s why we can have bread whenever I want to bake it. The three bags of oranges, of which he ate zero, that was less of a good deal. And, boy howdy, am I glad to have learned that one can freeze eggs! Otherwise, April would have been the month of quiche.

8 Likes

Ah, I misunderstood!
Fortunately we’ve been eating at home for every meal anyway – except for those times we went out. But I think we are spending more though.

Have him text you photos from the produce section while he’s there.

ETA: Sorry I didn’t scroll down to see that you’re already on top of this!

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

XKCD has had many, many comics about the pandemic. This is one of them:

Title text:

If you want to see the polling questions we agree on MOST, you can check out Chapter 24 of my book How To, where I got the Roper Center on Public Opinion Research to help me design the world’s least electable political campaign platform.

8 Likes

I’m mildly curious as to whether this will change the coffee industry, seeing as so many cafes are closed, and the semimythical 4 buck latte gone with it. So far I haven’t encountered shortages, but then again, I don’t buy pods.

The reason I hinted that food expenses might have gone up is that I’ve noticed that gourmet staples are sometimes all that is left. But I didn’t eat out much before the pandemic, and didn’t factor that in.

5 Likes

Statistics question: What does a summary from different polls like this do to the significance of the stated results? Can you pick and choose to bias the results? My gut feeling is yes.

Not to stick to Randall Monroe, but it sort of jumped out at me, mainly because I get annoyed when my conservative friend does his pick-and-choose-data dance.

5 Likes

That could be a problem, but for the most part it would be the same problem you’d have just mentioning a single one of those: if there are multiple polls covering the same one, you could be picking whichever one of those has the best result.

In the case with this compilation, cherry picking can pretty much be assumed, since it explicitly says that it’s looking at things with a similar level of agreement. You’d have to have a survey of all polls that covered each individual idea in order to see how consistent that agreement is.

3 Likes

10 Likes

You’ve just described the journalistic model of fivethirtyeight.com, weighting and adjusting according to “house effects”.

1 Like

Disagree. The problem with cherry-picking single polls is that any one poll is likely to be more off, and picking your favorite gives more opportunities to be more off. Fivethirtyeight is using a weighted running average-- there are obviously questions of how to weight these things, but like a larger sample size, the average is likely to be less off.

1 Like

You know, right about now I would be OK with that.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to imply that it was problem-free. A detailed reading of 538 reveals constant issues with statistical techniques, some of which they work out with varying results.

2 Likes

“Like the greatest generation, we owe it to our nation to face danger bravely,” Pullmann wrote. “Our ancestors risked much worse to give us the best country in the world: cholera outbreaks, amputations without anesthesia, hand-to-paw combat with bears and panthers, natives who ruled territory through slavery and torture, establishing homes in a forbidding wilderness amid outbreaks of starvation and disease, volunteering to fight from poisoned foxholes, perilous trips in rickety ships across a dark ocean.”

Really, “hand-to-paw combat with bears and panthers”? :rofl: I’d love to see these cowards put into the situations they seem to think everyone else should stoically endure.

8 Likes

What a sick, sick view of the world. “After you,” is all I can say.

7 Likes

Seriously? I can’t even…

10 Likes

Conservatism has become something of a death cult.

I suppose they’re still disappointed that AIDS didn’t eliminate all the degenerates.

6 Likes

So. Not just the neighbors in the house north of mine but those in the house south of mine are having folks outside their household visit and have gatherings. I’ve called the mayor’ s office and the city police. If they’ve done something about it beside call me for information - they now have my address and the one of the 1st set of neighbors (the 2nd one just decided to have one tonight) - it would be news to me.

I mean, I wouldn’t give two flying fucks if they were doing this not during a pandemic and when they’re aren’t state orders saying not to have folks outside your household come over.

What the living hell is wrong with people? Why is this so damned difficult for people to understand? My goodness, the POTUS’s Mother’s Day message should be enough to convince just about ANYone that he can’t be trusted!

So, just trying not to freak out and worry too much.

5 Likes