Love in the Time of COVID-19

I am really, really sorry. Can you get a face shield for next time? Not that that’s a cure-all for an all-around shit situation.

4 Likes

Ugh, I hate that. The only time I’m ever out in public now is at the grocery store, and I’m amazed at the number of people who are sort-of-wearing a mask uselessly below their nose or even on their chin below their mouth, is disturbing. Cases are climbing again here to the point where hospitals might be unable to meet demand soon and it doesn’t seem like people are taking it anything like seriously enough.

13 Likes

I see that ALL the time, and I bet their response if I were to ask them would be, “But I can’t BREATHE if I wear it over my nose!”

I saw only two folks, both male, one of color and one not, without masks at Meijer the other day doing grocery-shopping; and I think the male of color had his off to talk on the phone - he had a beard, so it was hard to tell from a distance. But you know how when you go grocery-shopping and at times, there’s one or two customers you nearly always run into? That’s how it was with the white guy. And he looked like one of those guys who is pissed off even when he’s happy. Maybe in his late 30’s early 40s, reminded me of the guys I knew who wished they could be in a militia.

5 Likes

Jeez, that’s crummy in so many ways.

In a couple weeks, I need to go to another state for a work thing. The plus side is that it’s driving distance, so I can get there only interacting with the car rental place and the hotel. When I did this in September, I brought all my own food and paid at the gas pump. None of this would be do-able if I had to drive.

My other advantage is that I’m going to a building that will only have two or three other people in it. I’m taking photos before they open, because once they open I won’t be allowed. It’s a senior living home, so until there are visits allowed, all they have to show folks who might want to move in are my photos.

The other advantage of this being a senior living place is that everyone is extremely conscientious about masks, and won’t do that under-the-nose baloney. And, everyone else will be an actual employee of the company, and they get tested regularly.

I hope you are able to work this out in a way that keeps you and yours safe.

8 Likes

I miss entertaining at those.

6 Likes

Hmmm…

5 Likes
4 Likes

I recall the Spacers wearing nose filters in the the presence of Earthers in Isaac Asimov’s Caves of Steel books. They were supposedly of superior fitness, but were susceptible to Earth viruses.

Isaac, why did you have to predict those?

3 Likes

I think MAD magazine had a set of nasal filters in either a Dave Berg or Al Jaffee feature.

3 Likes

5 Likes

You’d prefer the high-speed murder moving sidewalks?

7 Likes

Reminds me of Daxus’s nose filter in the the ever-so-campy Ultraviolet movie.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Hard to decide whether to post this here or in All the Feels:

6 Likes

Love and feels are sometimes orthogonal.

2 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

I mean, it was obvious, but for them to just come out and say it out loud…

10 Likes

As part of the plan, a top Trump administration official wanted the Santa performers to promote the benefits of a Covid-19 vaccination and, in exchange, offered them early vaccine access ahead of the general public, according to audio recordings. Those who perform as Mrs. Claus and elves also would have been included.

This administration and the quid pro quo…

8 Likes

So Pence is coming in to the senate in case he can break a tie for Barrett. Never mind how many of his associates, including staffers, keep coming down with the corona.

4 Likes