Love in the Time of COVID-19

The Biden campaign halted Senator Kamala Harris’s in-person campaigning through Sunday after two people who had traveled with her tested positive for the coronavirus, the campaign announced Thursday morning.

The communications director for Ms. Harris’s vice-presidential bid, Liz Allen, and a flight crew member tested positive, the campaign said. Ms. Harris herself tested negative on Wednesday.

“Senator Harris was not in close contact, as defined by the C.D.C., with either of these individuals during the two days prior to their positive tests; as such, there is no requirement for quarantine,” the Biden campaign manager, Jennifer O’Malley Dillon, said in a statement.

“Regardless, out of an abundance of caution and in line with our campaign’s commitment to the highest levels of precaution, we are canceling Senator Harris’s travel through Sunday.”

5 Likes
6 Likes

My kid’s teacher has been out with COVID for a week and no one said anything.

7 Likes

So we’re all caviar? Would that be “Soylent Elite”?

2 Likes

So what was the “no video with supported format and mime type found.”?

7 Likes

Remdesivir was developed for the Ebola virus, whose taxonomy is:

(unranked): Virus
Realm: Riboviria
Kingdom: Orthornavirae
Phylum: Negarnaviricota
Class: Monjiviricetes
Order: Mononegavirales
Family: Filoviridae
Genus: Ebolavirus
Species: Zaire ebolavirus

The corona virus taxonomy is:

(unranked): Virus
Realm: Riboviria
Kingdom: Orthornavirae
Phylum: Pisuviricota
Class: Pisoniviricetes
Order: Nidovirales
Family: Coronaviridae
Subfamily: Orthocoronavirinae

So they diverge at the Phylum level, a pretty major difference. No wonder the stuff doesn’t work well or at all.

ETA: from Wikipedia.

8 Likes

Remdesivir looks like ATP. Ideally, it would form a tight bond with RNA-dependent RNA polymerase-- and interrupt viral replication.

Theoretically, then, this would work against all Orthornavirae-- (RNA Viruses), provided that the Remdesivir-RNA polymerase complex was stable.

It’s stable in filoviruses–Marburg, Ebola.
And it’s stable in some coronaviruses-- including SARS and MERS. But not in Covid19.

But I’ve forgotten most of my biochemistry, and never really studied viruses, so my take is missing some expertise.

6 Likes

Finally, an actual advantage to having to Zoom classes instead of having the students at school:

7 Likes

(Responding to a question of “Where’s your evidence that there is a virus that causes the disease?”)

6 Likes

South of the border:

North of the border:

4 Likes

Want to move there, but son is having noneavit.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I want one of those bubble suits with the air pump.

3 Likes

I never know which topic to put these things under…

3 Likes

Work required me to take a trip out of state recently, so I had the fun of air travel, to a state with far higher case counts, hotel stay, having to occasionally eat in a restaurant or stop at random shops, etc. On the good side, mask usage where I was at was much more consistent than it is in my own stomping grounds, but the number of people I saw at the airport freely removing their masks in gate waiting areas (where people are the most concentrated, and right next to streams of people puffing as they walk between gates… wtf?) or wearing their masks under their noses (??) was not very encouraging.

So, I’m now in a self-imposed quarantine inside my own home to try to make sure I haven’t brought anything back to pass on. Slowly going stir-crazy in one small room, making sure to wear a mask and try to be as sanitary as possible if I’m forced to leave the room. While still working, of course. And wondering if I’m being far too paranoid.

I really, really hope one of the vaccines in development holds out, because this kind of thing really isn’t sustainable. And there’s already plans for more travel…

10 Likes

That sucks. So no chance of virtual trips?

3 Likes

Assuming you mean for work… unfortunately, while a lot can be (and has to be) done remotely, there’s times when there is just no substitute for having someone who knows the job and has eyes and hands on equipment. I can’t complain too much, since as “essential” jobs go it could be far, far worse. Isolating like this in order to try to be responsible, though, is definitely not as easy as it seemed when thinking about it in the relative freedom I had before…

4 Likes