Love in the Time of COVID-19

4 Likes

Thanks for the historical context. Perhaps the difference is an obsession with cleanliness some Americans (like me) have developed. I wonder if that’s due to marketing of things like disinfectants and deodorants since WWII.

If only Carson had had some medical knowledge, he might have known better.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Such a first-world problem. Getting stranded in a luxury resort with nothing to do but relax on the beach. Those poor unfortunate people.

5 Likes

Maybe not directly, but it’s certainly a more connected part of a larger trend among Americans…

But Caitlin is great for any history of death stuff. The common American funeral is surprisingly recent, as is the funeral industry itself. I’m glad she’s been pushing back on that in her activism. I agree with her that it’s a huge problem that we’re so disconnected from the processes of death. It gums up our sense of our mortality, as well as our ability to really mourn our losses in a healthy manner.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Almost as if there’s a correlation.

7 Likes

I just found out this morning one that a lady who became a friend of mine after purchasing teapots from me a couple years back has got the virus, and her husband is in the hospital on a respirator. They are both just great humans. Younger than me, too.

This is the first case of folks I know in person getting the virus.

6 Likes
2 Likes

So I’m back in self-imposed isolation after another work trip to another state. Everyone else decided to take a trip elsewhere, though, so this time I have the whole home to myself rather than just one room! Woooo…? This time around, I noticed a lot more lax mask usage, and a lot more people wearing their mask underneath their nose, even during the flight. Like, I could see at least three people within three rows/seats of me wearing their mask like that for the entire trip. <insert teeth grinding while not wanting to make a scene>

I did have one highlight of the trip, though… during a conversation with my driver in the Uber trip to the airport, I happened to mention the recounts. She responded (without even a hint of sarcasm, I swear this sounded entirely straight) with something along the lines of “yeah, it’s crazy what’s going on with Biden and… what was his name… oh, Trump, and all the recounts…”

I long for the day when I can “oh, whatsisface…you know…” for Trump.

Yeah, that jerk who was in one of the Home Alone movies. No, not the robbers, the one who bullied his way into having one line just because of a few seconds being filmed in his hotel.

7 Likes
6 Likes

That’s the coolest mask I’ve seen a government official wear thus far!

4 Likes

yep, big news here, of course. this is the first national story i’ve seen about it.

3 Likes

Our most recent PSA:

6 Likes

There was something similar to this said on Honest Trailers of all places a few months ago. Something like “This is the first time in history where lives can be saved by sitting on your couch. Let’s not screw this up!”

7 Likes

Good news for us, my spouse’s test came back negative. She still has to stay home from work for another week… and then she has time that she took off for our cancelled Thanksgiving trip.

15 Likes

Honestly…

Dimension, Plywood, Framing…you name it…it is all a minimum of two, often three times what I paid for it last year.

6 Likes
5 Likes

I stand with That Woman from Michigan. This son-of-bitch…fomenting dissent…why can’t others SEE THROUGH that crap?

5 Likes

Oh, but he would NEVER condone violence. Just fuck these people.

7 Likes