Love in the Time of COVID-19

LOL! Neither, but that was a fun reminder of how many ways milk can be delivered.

Thanks for the play-by-play explanation!

5 Likes

Probably explains how Safeway came to be empty of milk this afternoon.
“Limit 3 per person.”

1 Like
3 Likes

Or die of something more pleasant than a horrible lung flu

2 Likes

I have no idea what she’s talking about.

2 Likes

Well, first you wait for it to be cold enough outside so the garage stays permanently frozen. You can tell the time is right when the slush doesn’t melt off the car. Then you take a gallon or two milk and stand it on the floor of said garage. Let freeze.

Generally they do not rupture because they have that circular indentation on the side.

Bring it into your refrigerator when you have room. Remember to allow a couple of days for it to thaw. Keep an eye on it to check for leaks. Before you serve, remember to rotate the container end-over-end once or twice to re-emulsify it. That’s the last important step.

6 Likes

Hey, you stole my recipe for soda-bottle slushies!

:smiling_imp:

Disclaimer: also not to be used with glass bottles

5 Likes

The ICE thing is hopeful.

8 Likes

It’d be really nice if the testing were more comprehensive. (not a creator I usually watch, but happened to pop up in my recommendations. As far as I can tell, due to the conspiracy-busting kick my recommendations have been on lately)

Related…

Meanwhile… according to the Johns Hopkins University tracker (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html), at least for the moment, confirmed US cases have passed cases from France (9,345 US, 9,045 France). Timezone of updates matters, of course, so it’ll probably not last. But the gap’s been closing in for a few days.

5 Likes
4 Likes

I got a few things I can freeze, canned goods, etc. feel better now that my pantry is stocked up but concerned it may not have been the wisest use of my limited cash

6 Likes

I figure if it’s non-perishable or frozen, even if I don’t get to it now I will eventually.

5 Likes

Update on my analysis of US total deaths:

Data from the last two days are worse than predicted. They appear (by eye) to follow a steeper exponential from 3/11/20 - 3/16/20. If that continues, I may want to fit an exponential that ignores 3/2/20 - 3/10/20.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Trouble is, netflix is priced by bandwidth.

Basic: 9 dollars
Standard: 13 dollars
Premium: 16 dollars

Basic is SD on 1 screen, Standard is HD on two screens, Premium is UHD on 4 screens.

so, if yoiu’ve already paid for the 16 dollar plan, being relegated to what essentially is the 9 dollar plan demands compensation.

I thought that in Europe, internet was cheap and fast compared to what’s offered in the US. Now, it turns out that … it’s not?

3 Likes

Here’s a laugh for you:

2 Likes

Would have been nice to have something targeting the things actually responsible, instead of going right for the people most likely to suffer from pollution and climate change themselves, but that’s nature for you. It makes stuff that’s beautiful to look at, when you can go home afterward. Then it’s awful to it.

I saw author Wendig mention writing something similar and feeling bad about it here, and thought maybe the rest of the sentiment might be useful to someone.

Oh, and kxkvi, nice that you are keeping track but it might be easier to use a logarithmic scale if you are going to judge things by eye. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, I did that too. I just found it easier to see the curve from March 11 to March 18 on the linear plot. Of course it may just be pareidolia.

2 Likes