Love in the Time of COVID-19

2 Likes

Welp, Van Morrison has obviously lost his rationality, same with Eric Clapton:

5 Likes

“We must stand up and be counted because we need to find a way out of this mess. The alternative is not worth thinking about. Live music might never recover.”

But not by taking any concrete, coordinated steps to limit transmission and try to starve the virus of new hosts so that people can start to have lower risks in common situations. That would just be going way too far.

4 Likes

I’m just catching up on this thread. A big hug to you.

4 Likes

I mean, I could be mean and say, “Wow, I wasn’t even sure if Van Morrison was even still alive, dude!”

4 Likes

Live music might never recover.

Certainly not if they keep encouraging people to break lockdown. That’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. A lot of people won’t recover, fans and bands alike.

Pretty sure these old guys don’t even know that there are still live music events going on - streaming on twitch etc. Minus the feel of the venue and being in the crowd, but that’s a small price to pay for everyone to live another day and actually be able to go to a physically live show again someday.

6 Likes

And then we have these two dudes:

Let’s seeeeeeee…who’s grown up since they first debuted and became stars?

4 Likes

What assholes. Glad I never listened to Clapton or Morrison.

Something I used in my interminable novel is a guy whose show is streamed over a planet’s internet also has the audience applause and laughter all streamed back to him. I wonder if anyone is looking into doing that.

(I came up with both these things like 30 years ago. Sigh.)

7 Likes

I know just how you feel…well, in my own way, so not 'zactly…

2 Likes
8 Likes

Pardon my language, but what a dumb cunt.

And her account no longer exists.

6 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes

Pity. I was looking forward to reading the ratio.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Edited because my original comment was written in anger.

Too bad the sick fellow’s other disease (for which he’s a carrier, infecting others and resulting in deaths) cannot be treated.

4 Likes

Want to bet the reasons why readmissions are higher among non-Hispanic white people is because of a combination of a) doctors prioritizing white people’s illness complaints (such as judging POC, especially Black people, as not sick enough to need readmission and sending them home, possibly to die) and/or b) people in those groups being more likely to be of lower income and reluctant to return due to the costs?

In other words, just a little ol’ systemic racism.

8 Likes

Actually, there is treatment for it, but for many people it doesn’t take hold very well.

In the book “Race” by Studs Terkel, he talks to an ex-Klansman who ended up working with what he perceived his worst enemy - a big loud Black lady - to achieve a goal that would benefit both Blacks and whites. And how they learned to respect and care for one another (no, it’s not a romance, lol). Her interview is in the book as well.

The recipient of the treatment, then, usually doesn’t know they’re being treated until after they’ve been cured.

6 Likes

That’s hopeful. How do we do this to 70 million people?

5 Likes

It seems to start at a very basic neighborhood level: Everyone teams up in order to attain a goal that benefits the whole neighborhood. But they GOTTA WANT IT more than they feel they gotta hold onto their outdated racist/sexist attitudes.

3 Likes