Love in the Time of COVID-19

To be clear, this did not happen in New York City. It happened in Staten Island.

In a statement, Mr Presti’s lawyers said police did not identify themselves during the raid, which took place in the city’s Staten Island neighbourhood. They added that Mr Presti fled out of fear for his life, having had “numerous death threats”, according to CBS News.

Mr Presti allegedly hit the deputy and drove for around 100 yards as the deputy was left hanging on the car bonnet.

I’ll bet he has a “blue lives matter” bumper sticker too.

4 Likes

Thread. This is Ron DeSantis’ response to the scientist trying to accurately report the situation in Florida.

9 Likes

That is terrifying. We may have stopped (postponed?) the fascists at the federal level, but they are definitely in control in some of the states.

BugsBunnySawOffFla.gif

6 Likes

Related:

4 Likes
3 Likes

https://eand.co/why-freedom-became-free-dumb-in-america-4947e39663f2

3 Likes

That guy drives me nuts. He doesn’t even live here - he’s got some ivory tower in the UK.

1 Like

From the NYT news summary that I get in my email six mornings a week:

The vaccine news continues to seem very encouraging. Britain started its mass vaccination effort today, and the U.S. isn’t far behind.

But there is still one dark cloud hanging over the vaccines that many people don’t yet understand.

The vaccines will be much less effective at preventing death and illness in 2021 if they are introduced into a population where the coronavirus is raging — as is now the case in the U.S. That’s the central argument of a new paper in the journal Health Affairs. (One of the authors is Dr. Rochelle Walensky of Massachusetts General Hospital, whom President-elect Joe Biden has chosen to run the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)

An analogy may be helpful here. A vaccine is like a fire hose. A vaccine that’s 95 percent effective, as Moderna’s and Pfizer’s versions appear to be, is a powerful fire hose. But the size of a fire is still a bigger determinant of how much destruction occurs.

I asked the authors of the Health Affairs study to put their findings into terms that we nonscientists could understand, and they were kind enough to do so. The estimates are fairly stunning:

• At the current level of infection in the U.S. (about 200,000 confirmed new infections per day), a vaccine that is 95 percent effective — distributed at the expected pace — would still leave a terrible toll in the six months after it was introduced. Almost 10 million or so Americans would contract the virus, and more than 160,000 would die.

• This is far worse than the toll in an alternate universe in which the vaccine was only 50 percent effective but the U.S. had reduced the infection rate to its level in early September (about 35,000 new daily cases). In that scenario, the death toll in the next six months would be kept to about 60,000.

It’s worth pausing for a moment on this comparison, because it’s deeply counterintuitive. If the U.S. had maintained its infection rate from September and Moderna and Pfizer had announced this fall that their vaccines were only 50 percent effective, a lot of people would have freaked out.

But the reality we have is actually worse.

U.S. data, as collected by The New York Times.

How could this be? No vaccine can eliminate a pandemic immediately, just as no fire hose can put out a forest fire. While the vaccine is being distributed, the virus continues to do damage. “Bluntly stated, we’ll get out of this pandemic faster if we give the vaccine less work to do,” A. David Paltiel, one of the Health Affairs authors and a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, told me.

There is one positive way to look at this: Measures that reduce the virus’s spread — like mask-wearing, social distancing and rapid-result testing — can still have profound consequences. They can save more than 100,000 lives in coming months.

3 Likes

Best description of Murica I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

In case you thought the State’s case might hold water:

6 Likes

Good for him. The people who are in power in Florida are literally the worst convergence of cartel crime and white collar crime in the country, and in the running for the worst scumbags on the planet.

6 Likes

I’ve only read two of Carl Hiasson’s (sp?) books satirizing the awful politics of Fla, and I see how his supply of source material is nearly infinite. I’d read more but they’re too darn depressing.

2 Likes

Read Dave Barry’s stuff instead? I think he and Carl have teamed up on some books.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article64225497.html/video-embed

Oh, yeah, DB’s cool.

1 Like
4 Likes

Make some fucking examples of these pricks. Sure, a fine and community service, and then the eventual seizure of the fine and the week in jail after the contempt charges and then twenty years later when the pardon rolls in…

These fucking pricks.

Well, that’s a familiar internal debate…

7 Likes
2 Likes

Both jerwin and I have been feeling very sick lately. For me, it started monday, after my regular occupational therapy appointment, with severe migraines. For both of us it has involved chills, fatigue, and disorientation.

7 Likes