Mathematical jokes

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are each locked in a closed room with a can of food, and will only be let out when the can is opened. The engineer is first out, having beaten his can into submission, and having eaten whatever of the food didn’t spray all over the walls in the process. The physicist took a little longer. He analyzed the pressure points of the can, then applied gentle pressure. The can was open and all the food intact.

A couple days passed, and the mathematician is still rocking in a corner of the room, repeating “assume the can is open, assume the can is open…”

13 Likes

There are (n+1) types of people in this world.

4 Likes

…meaning there are at least (n+1) people in this world. (Pigeonhole principle)

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Science Questions (spun from Mathematical Jokes)

Sorry to interrupt. Your regular scheduled program will now continue.

Sorry, Did I jump the gun…

Although, I don’t have many more good mathematical jokes. You see, the problem is is that the calculus jokes are all derivative, trigonometry jokes are too graphic, algebra jokes are usually formulaic, and arithmetic jokes are pretty basic. But I guess the occasional statistics joke is an outlier.

14 Likes

One for the younger set:

Mean Dad: What’s 5Q plus 5Q?

Trusting offspring, proud of her new algebra skills: 10Q

Mean Dad: You’re welcome!

11 Likes

How do you spot the topologist? They can’t tell the difference between their donut and their coffee mug.

14 Likes

Not strictly a joke, but…

5 Likes

Lifehack: If you ever get cold at home, find a corner of the room to stand in.

They’re usually about 90 degrees.

16 Likes
8 Likes

Not precisely math, but close enough…

If Iron Man and Silver Surfer teamed up to defend Australia, they’d be alloys.

9 Likes
6 Likes

(From a marketing email I received)

Q: There were 30 students but only 28 chicken nuggets. How many didn’t get one?

A: Ten.

(if confused, read it out loud)

3 Likes

Does it somehow change to binary? Even so I really can’t figure it out.

1 Like

Try saying the numbers real slow.

3 Likes

Oh for goodness sake. SMH

7 Likes

Yes, the accent on one syllable makes all the diff - I just got it myself!

2 Likes

Not a joke, but…

For some reason, the phrase “Never take a mathematician square-dancing” came to mind as if it were the opening to a joke; but if it is, I don’t remember the punchline.

1 Like

Challenge level square dancing is usually only computer people, professors, etc. because it is so mathematical and logical.

The crinoline & polyester Western shirt stereotype is only one subset of the dance form, and basically non-existent at the higher levels.

Edited to add:

OMG, I’m just now watching! I’ve danced in that room, and the caller is Sandie Bryant! She is a goddess!!

1 Like

Maybe not…
https://www.hatds.org/squares