Meh... for all of life's okay events

And I got my $600 EIC today…but it’s DATED FOR TOMORROW!!!

6 Likes

My husband and I are taking the kids backpacking for the weekend, and my period decided to oblige by starting 4 days early. Should finish up on our driving day.

And it should snow for our Sunday hike!

8 Likes

I heard a Brooklynite unironically say “youse” today. That’s a rare occurrence.

He said it with a short u, like “yuhz.”

Complete sentence: “Good tuh see yuh zagain.”

4 Likes

The thing I love about NY accents is that, at least to my Midwestern ear, it doesn’t matter from what ethnicities New Yourkers descended and/or what languages they grew up hearing and speaking - they all sound like New Yourkers.

3 Likes

My mother heard of Jim Morrison for the first time today.

5 Likes

1 Like

Well, for what it’s worth she’s going to battle the curfews on the Sunset Strip.

1 Like

Pamela des Barres was there; check out “I’m with the Band” by her. It’s a pretty good read.

My mother has decided she prefers Jack Kelly to James Garner.

1 Like

It happens. My mom liked both.

I have a cold. I woke up with it on Saturday morning. My first cold since February 2020.

I know where I got it and who gave it to me. That young guy who sits at the end of my row at work. He’s been coughing for the past week and on Friday he got a little too close to me — twice.

A curious disease. It seems to change every six hours. Last night I went to bed early and was a little fevery. I had a recurring fever dream that involved the Time Team and the Velvet Underground. It made no sense, and that disturbed me.

Now it is Monday and I am noticing random people around me coughing and sneezing. This too I have not experienced since February 2020. So here we have it: the first New York City-wide cold since the pandemic. Make of that what you will.

I learned something on Sunday. Antihistamines are no use against cold symptoms. They only work against allergies. It seems so obvious now. I have found a medicine that slightly helps me: Tylenol Sinus Severe. It almost helped. Which is more than I can say about any other cold medicine since he 1980s.

6 Likes

I broke down and bought a Glade “Pumpkin Spice Things Up” PlugIn. Now my apartment smells like the inside of a Hallmark Store. Very appropriate.

On a side note, I have sadly discovered that some people still think “Pumpkin Spice” is the natural scent and flavor of a pumpkin.

7 Likes

Well, at least it’s not a Yankee Candle store smell.

And pumpkins for jack-o-laterns are apparently pretty blah tasting, compared to the ones bred for eating.

Of course the best is Libby’s puréed pumpkin made into a homemade pie.

3 Likes

Got some frostbite yesterday–at the dermatologist, who used a gallon or two of liquid nitrogen. Unpleasant. Today, blisters are venting plasma.

6 Likes

A snowstorm came through my area and I had my first snow-day in many years. This is probably the first snow-day I have been able to enjoy since the mid 80s. It was a mild blizzard, but it was just enough to interrupt life.

Since it started late on a Friday I had time to buy handmade cookies, have diner with friends and get home without any subway interruptions. I didn’t have to worry about getting to work or having to work remotely. And since I’m not living at home I didn’t have to worry about my mother’s obsessive hated of snow and relaxation, or my father’s obsessive use of the snowblower.

It was a rough week at work so I slept late. During the day I did laundry, cleaned up the apartment, went for a walk through the trailing edge of the storm, and in the afternoon made soup. Tomorrow I will be ready to return to the outside world.

6 Likes

That musta been the one that hit us last week.

1 Like

Well, I just submitted my MIHAF application to (hopefully) obtain help with my overdue property taxes and utility bills - wish me luck!

And I don’t remember if I shared this or not, but I’m gonna do it anyway, lol:

@Nightflyer, I don’t know if you need this, but if you know someone who does/might, please share it with them. It can help with all sorts of things!

2 Likes

I experienced my first tornado on Monday.

As a child of Wisconsin I’ve been familiar with the signs and symptoms of a tornado from an early age. In that part of the world it’s a practical part of every child’s early schooling. I’ve mulled over those symptoms while in the midst of many severe midwestern thunderstorms. I would pass time under the basement stairs considering the finer aspects of the storm, trying to decide if I was experiencing a tornado. When it finally happened, there was no doubt.

Strangely this didn’t occur in any tornado alley. But in Brooklyn.

Monday was abnormally warm in New York, around 72 degrees. There was rain forecast in the morning and again in the evening. From noon there were strong winds blowing in from the west.

After work I had a few windows open. I was sure I would have to close them eventually because of the forecasted rain. Around 9pm there was a single crack of thunder. I went to my kitchen window and saw nothing. So I left my windows open for the time being.

My apartment on the fourth floor faces west. It looks out onto a church’s large parking lot. I can see up to the next street, and a lot of sky.

A few minutes later I noticed a low rumbling sound. I assumed someone had turned on their window air conditioner due to the warm weather. Again, I looked out the kitchen window and saw nothing. But it became clear the rumbling was not an air conditioner. It sounded exactly like a freight train rolling along at about 40 mph, and it was getting louder.

The winds had been strong all afternoon but now, suddenly, they grew stronger. The winds increased so quickly that I began to wonder if my building would be damaged. This was not a casual observation. In this apartment I have experienced two large hurricanes, and I never had a thought like that before.

Now rain appeared. I could see a wall of rain across the parking lot being blown in every direction at once. It quickly crossed the parking lot.

When the wind and rain reached my window there was an instant drop in the air pressure. I had to clear my ears. The glass in the window flexed in and out a couple of times. And then it was over.

The whole event lasted about 5 minutes.

6 Likes

Bingo! You’ve described it so well.

4 Likes

On the subway today I felt someone lightly tap me on the shoulder. Not generally acceptable behavior.

I turned around and found myself looking into the fuzzy face of a corgi.

6 Likes