Movies so bad that they're fun

Did the “AP” folks watch this movie, then, I wonder? You should read the book to see how they really fucked up the film. Sincerely though, Jackie’s books should’ve been filmed in two parts, they just have so much stuff - not just the dialogue, which was great because she eavesdropped a lot and had a memory like yours truly - but her descriptions were marvelous as well. So plot was a bit thin and characters were thinly-veiled versions of folks she knew, but geez: What JUICY stuff!

And I think Dyan Cannon and Shecky Greene are the two main characters who’re still alive. Jodi Wexler, that wide-eyed model - no one heard of her afterward, like the Earth just swallowed her up. She wishes, I bet.

3 Likes

Dirty Dancing didn’t hurt in setting that up. And, of course, a certain later movie…
(Two words: pottery wheel.)

6 Likes

I’m from Mequon. I give you all permission to laugh at this.

3 Likes

Well, the author of the thread sure had fun with it…

2 Likes
2 Likes

So basically it’s a film about how stars perceive their fans, pretending to be about how fans perceive the stars, and mixing in some revenge fantasy, but then softening that with “retribution”.

Of course the fanatic gets stabbed in the eye and gets his fingers blown off – so he can’t see anymore and can’t touch anymore. It’s neutering his fanaticism not-so-symbolically.

Contempt for your subject matter never works.

2 Likes

I think you are developing the story more than Fred Durst did.

3 Likes

speaking of Patrick Swayze, has anyone mentioned my all-time favorite (and Swayze’s film debut), Skatetown, U.S.A.?

IT’S ONLY THE BEST-WORST FILM EVER MADE. if you lived through the 70s, it’s a mouth-dropping non-stop cocaine-fueled delight on disco roller-skating wheels. it’s creme de la creme of 70s faces – Scott Baio, Flip Wilson, Ruth Buzzi, even Billy Barty. highly, HIGHLY recommended. they even just (finally) released it as a blue-ray disc. before that it was only available through shitty copies (like the clip below).

but a wee taste…

5 Likes

Was there anything Patrick Swayze couldn’t do?

3 Likes

Beat cancer, sadly.

2 Likes

4 Likes

For a wont of anything better to do - I’m still not up-to-speed re painting, writing, et al - I’ve been watching/enduring a marathon of MST3K on YouTube. I’m on season 3 now. I’m going to stop after Mom Forrester makes her appearance, because I just didn’t like that character. I didn’t like Larry very much, either.

Or maybe I won’t - let’s see how much I can take, eh?

2 Likes

I agree — the original incarnation of Pearl Forrester was anti-humor. But I really like the re-invented character on the Sci-Fi episodes.

Curiously, the character Dr. Laurence Erhardt was much funnier on the KTMA episodes. Also, I prefer Josh Weinstein’s incarnation of Gypsy on the KTMA episodes to Mallon’s.

1 Like
1 Like

When I first started watching MST3K, it was on Sci-Fi (when it was still spelled that way) and I was married to my late-2nd-ex-husband and living on campus at the University of Kentucky. It was broadcast on Sunday mornings at the same time as “Earthworm Jim”; which upset my son, as the TV in his room didn’t get cable. Then, he began to watch with us…and the conversion was complete. He was probably eight years old.

4 Likes

we’re going to see the stage show of MST3K tomorrow, in fact. it’s the last tour with Joel – he’s retiring from the role after this tour, so we’re really looking forward to it. we’ve enjoyed every incarnation of the TV show, including the latest with Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt.

5 Likes

Believe it or not, I’m in the middle of something similar. I listen to an episode at a time while painting my apartment. An hour-and-a-half is enough painting for one day. Tonight I was painting baseboards while listening to Hercules vs the Moon Men.

5 Likes

Comet TV’s been running a MST3K marathon all day today. I’ve been listening more than watching, but it’s still fun.

6 Likes

Cult film geek fact sharing time.
Maciste who nobody outside of Italy much less North America knew who he was so the movies got renamed to Hercules, Sons of Hercules, Samson, or some such familiar strongman name. This one in particular was originally named Maciste And The Queen of Samara

Fun fact all these films are dubbed. The actors would just say their lines in whatever language they knew because the Italian, English, German, etc would be dubbed in during post.

In other fun times I finally saw all of Dolemite. I saw the first 30 minutes or so some time ago and got distracted. It was quite fun.

5 Likes

You watched that rat soup eatin’, low self-esteem movie maker?

2 Likes