Moving to bbs.elsewhere.cafe

4 Likes

Anyone else feeling freed now that all ties are cut?

4 Likes

Now it’s just some dotspace that I used to know.

8 Likes

@LockeCJ, I notice in my address bar (Firefox) that the little security lock icon has a yellow triangle with a ! in it. When I click on it, it says

“Connection is not secure
Parts of this page are not secure (such as images).”

I notice this doesn’t seem to be true at the Old Place. Both are https://

Are others noticing this?

2 Likes

(All on Mac OS) on Firefox, Chrome (Mac and iOS), and Safari I’m getting the expected locks on my end (i.e. green for Firefox).

2 Likes

I forgot to mention - PC running Win 8.1.

iPad Safari does have the lock.

1 Like

I’m getting the same result as you. Windows 10, Firefox 56.0.2.

Same thing at happymutants.space.

edit: Oops. Now it’s a green lock. “Secure connection. Verified by Let’s Encrypt.”

2 Likes

Yeah, now it’s a green lock for me too. The intertube trucks move in mysterious ways.

1 Like

Just an oversight. An intern at the NSA made the lock the wrong color. Thank you for pointing that out, citizen.

9 Likes

Now it’s back to the yellow triangle. WTF? I clicked on the triangle, and then clicked “More Information” and got this:

2 Likes

The internet doesn’t weigh anything. That’s one of the surprising things about it.

4 Likes

Pretty sure all the cables satellites server farms etc have weight. Could be wrong.

2 Likes

This might be an open bug in discourse with embedded images or oneboxes, and the triangle may go away if/when the remote image is downloaded to be served directly from the site instead of from the remote host. But if the download/save fails, it may stick around. (https://meta.discourse.org/t/add-setting-to-disable-hotlinking-of-large-image-files/67909)

At the moment, this current page doesn’t give me the mixed content warning, but the linked page Badass Dragoons of the Highlands - Turn 5 - London (c.1761) does. Firefox debug on that page is showing

These are all embedded remote images.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I’ve noticed that if you copy & paste a link to an image rather than the image itself, the picture still shows up here.

ETA: is that safe?

3 Likes

It looks like the setting to copy media locally got turned off.
I checked the logs, and the @system user is credited for the opposite (turning it on), so I don’t have an explanation for it.
I’ve turned the setting back on. We’ll see if that helps resolve this issue.

5 Likes

Hope that doesn’t use up too much disk space!

2 Likes

We’ll see. It was set like that for quite a while without incident. I’ll keep an eye on it either way.

3 Likes

Do we have metrics yet on how much space we tend to use per day / month / year? I remember for awhile we were avoiding reaction gifs, is that still believed necessary?

4 Likes

Don’t worry about gifs for now. I’ll let everyone know if that changes.

I don’t believe there’s anything built into Discourse that would show me the level of detail I’d need to figure out our storage growth rate. I’ll look on the Digital Ocean side to see if there’s anything I can check on, especially since I’m about to retire the old server.

Each backup takes ~1.7GiB right now. If I had been paying more attention, I could probably trend off of that, but we only keep the last 5 backups.

The problem on the old server came about because there wasn’t enough space to store both the uncompressed and compressed backups, then paradoxically didn’t delete the uncompressed backups, leaving even less space left over.

I’ve created an alert on the new server that will notify me if the disk space exceeds a comfortable threshold so I can plan accordingly. I’m also exploring options for additional storage and the possibility of shipping backups offsite to reduce some of that pressure.

4 Likes

Just get one of these. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes