This is just a heads up to let you know that I’ve started the process of transitioning the site from bbs.elsewhere.cafe to bbs.elsewhere.cafe.
In order to make this as painless as possible, I’ve taken the liberty of standing up a parallel instance of the discourse installation. So, for now, bbs.elsewhere.cafe will not point to here. It created an issue with getting the SSL cert set up, so I had to re-point the DNS. If it’s a problem during the transition, I can point it back temporarily.
With that out of the way, here’s the plan:
Set up Sparkpost Set up a new instance of Discourse Set up SSL for bbs.elsewhere.cafe Get a recent backup from here Restore the backup at bbs.elsewhere.cafe Put bbs.elsewhere.cafe back into read-only mode.
- Test the site out, make sure everything works:
- Social Logins:
- Make sure nothing points back to bbs.elsewhere.cafe
- Re-install Plugins?
- I should hope they’re in the backup, it’s up to 1.3GiB now.
- Make notes about what has to be changed after restore.
- Social Logins:
- Pick a date for the changeover
- Put bbs.elsewhere.cafe into read-only mode.
- Make a final backup.
- Restore the backup at bbs.elsewhere.cafe
- Update all the settings based on the tests above.
- Update DNS so that all domains point to bbs.elsewhere.cafe.
As part of all of this, I’m changing to new accounts for Google, Twitter, and Facebook. This means you will almost certainly have to re-authorize your login.
Once everything is settled, I’ll shut down the instance for bbs.elsewhere.cafe. After people have settled in to using the new domain, we can discuss how much longer to keep it active before I offer it up to Happy Mutant LLC. If they don’t want it, I’ll probably let it lapse when the renewal comes up and we can move on.
I think that pretty much covers everything. Let me know if you think I’m missing something or if you have any questions. I’m sorry this has taken so long.