Moving to bbs.elsewhere.cafe

Do I need to, like, actually do anything?

6 Likes

But, just in case…

14 Likes

If you haven’t already, go check out bbs.elsewhere.cafe

• See if you can log in.
  • See if anything seems out of place.
  • Post there if you want, but it will be overwritten with the next backup restored.
  • Get ready to stop coming to bbs.elsewhere.cafe.
9 Likes

It’s like a time machine!

It’s odd. Over there I’ve earned the “Aficionado” badge. I checked this site… and I don’t see that badge in the available list.

2 Likes

Weird. I don’t see it on the admin side of either site.

Oh well, it will be gone as soon as the next restore.

Like tears in the rain…

3 Likes

I’m thinking since the new site is from a backup, it’s running on an older version of Discourse. Maybe that’s why it’s using different badges? I recall at least 2 upgrades since the site debuted.

I don’t really care about the badges (I already know I’m a BBS addict), it’s just fun to try to troubleshoot.

2 Likes

bbs.elsewhere.cafe is running 1.9.0.beta13
bbs.elsewhere.cafe is running 1.9.0.beta7

The database backup is independent of the software version.

I suppose it’s possible that a badge was added between 7 and 13, but it’s still odd that it doesn’t show anywhere in the admin interface.

2 Likes

I can’t explain the admin interface, but the new badge is probably Discourse version differences. I checked over at the Old BBS and they have Enthusiast/Aficionado/Devotee badges for visiting 10/100/365 days straight.

So…
um nevermind

3 Likes

Yep another aficionado here. Guess we enjoy it while we can.

1 Like

Um, what am I missing? Been working so much my brain does nothing but tell me to eat and relax when I get home, except when I need to do work about the house, in which case I still want to eat.

1 Like

I was able to log in with no problems.

4 Likes

Got a time in mind? Can we start a countdown?

1 Like
4 Likes

I just tried and failed to log in at the new place, using the same username & password as this place. Do I have to create a new account over there?

1 Like

I believe so. I just used the same username I use here to start a new account there. Worked fine.

It’s like your old posts have been cloned and copied over there, but you have to actually start your account there.

Is that right, @LockeCJ?

2 Likes

I logged in okay without creating a new account. Things look normal except that posts more recent than Sep. 16 have not been copied over yet (which I understand is as intended). I’m just logging in via plain old URL, not any social networks.

5 Likes

Yup, that’s how I tried. Weird that some of us can do it and some can’t. I think I’ll just wait till it’s up & running; don’t want to fiddle with it when the backup’s going on. No biggie.

1 Like

Estoy aficionado!

1 Like

this was my experience as well. i didn’t have to create an account. i used my existing username and password.

i also browsed around, clicked through some posts, liked something, checked out my (old) profile. everything seemed to work okay for me.

4 Likes