Name This Site - ROUND 3 Voting Open

7 Likes

Naughty, naughtyā€¦

4 Likes

But till the sea shall make an end, I wage
War on the mightiest men under the skies
And now they are fallen or fled. Age after age
Light is manā€™s love and lighter is manā€™s rage
His purpose drifts and dies [Yeats, Wanderings of Oisin].

In the poem Oisin is unable to escape from his warlike past (and ends up losing Niamh the Fair and having to put up with a lecture from that tedious bore St. Patrick).
I agree. Time to escape from the old battles.

Let us bring the New World into existence, but not to redress the balance of the Old.
I would suggest it be referred to as BoingBoing. No euphemism needed unless someone is worried about search engines.

4 Likes

This is entirely the issue I have with Elsewhere as a name (and [s]one/s have explained elsewhere in here, though I think Iā€™ve been won over on that particular case) - and very cogently put.

On the third hand, Iā€™m aware that shared terms are a part of group culture, and find it easier to use than that ā€˜Boing Boing BBSā€™ (to refer specifically to the board, rather than the front end, or the whole thing) and actually less snarky than BBBBS feels, somehow.

Either way, Iā€™m mellow. Itā€™s a good point, and how the initial group of merry mutants here will decide to refer to from whence we came, will evolve. And it might just be an unexpected moment of peace, but Iā€™ll be happy with either, as long as itā€™s not snide and derogatory.

Your point of rising above the crud, as far as one is able, is still very well made.

3 Likes

Iā€™m okay with Elsewhere as a name, but I know others have issues with it due to stuff that went on at The Other Place*. I think we ought to be picking a name fairly soon, though.

*I like The Other Place as a euphemism, it works equally well from both sides.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my issue with Elsewhere, too. On the other hand, in and of itself, Elsewhere is pretty damn awesome. The baggage on it has a sour taste in my mouth, though, to mix a few metaphors.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly why Iā€™m using it. Iā€™ve used that same terminology to talk about yet another BBS in yet a third place slightly subtly for, well, years now I think of it? :thinking:

So thatā€™s why Iā€™ve been doing it: Itā€™s somewhat habitual, linguistic (semantic?) fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can this monologue (1:40) be our manifesto? I like manifestoes.

1 Like

How about The Breakfast Club? Iā€™m only half-serious, but really.

3 Likes

I suspect that those associations will wear off with time. I just wish we had better TLD options. If it wins weā€™ll also have to think about how to style it so that we donā€™t come across as a travel blog.

Yes. I think two weeks is long enough for everyone who is interested to vote. This is becoming a real bottleneck.

3 Likes

I know, late to the game, and I like a few existing options. I also wonder about Milliways.cafe as that would make us the coffee shop at the end of the universe, and that would be my last meal of choice.

6 Likes

Is there another admin who would care to pick up the baton, since this thread is now over a month old?

4 Likes

Does taking the top 4 seem reasonable? Iā€™d ask for a vote, but you knowā€¦

5 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone would argue with that. Iā€™d personally recommend limiting the voting period to two weeks, since weā€™ll still need to vote on the final two, and then the TLDs, which would give us at least six more weeks of voting.

5 Likes

I have no right to vote, having been absent for more than six weeks. Also, I voted for ā€œend of the worldā€ because I listened to a podcast today about climate change that nearly drove me to doomsday prepper status.

Anyway, whatever this place is called, Iā€™m glad itā€™s here.

4 Likes

I disagree. Everyone who is a user here is entitled to vote, even someone who just joined. This is no heinleinesque ā€œService guarantees citizenshipā€ nonsense.

Something brought you back after 6 weeks, and Iā€™m glad youā€™re here now.

14 Likes

Votes for everyone!

8 Likes

Iā€™m closing this thread. Final name voting at
šŸ˜Ž šŸ Name This Site - ROUND 4 Voting Open šŸŽ‰šŸ’„

6 Likes