Not Feminism 101

What kills me is that Billy Wilder’s films are celebrated and revered, even though his females are either sexy and stupid, misandrist molls, or nutty hags. I’ve not seen all his movies, but I’ve seen enough to see those things. And even if he did make a film with a woman who wasn’t any of those things, you’d think I’d’ve noticed it, lol.

I wonder if the fact that Wilder, even though he was educated, urbane, and witty, was also short and not considered physically attractive, has anything to do with it. Just a thought.

9 Likes

I remember thinking about this when I watched Wild. I wasn’t freaked out when they showed Reese Witherspoon hiking alone in the middle of nowhere, but every time she met one or more men in the trail I’d have an “oh no” moment (which if you’ve seen the film is unfounded about 80% of the time).

(Edited for autocorrect errors)

9 Likes
5 Likes
12 Likes

“Mashers” also tended to get stabbed with hatpins.

https://thedollop.libsyn.com/213-mashers-and-hatpins

4 Likes
11 Likes

If you click through to the game site and visit the About page, you can see a seven-minute playthrough of the game. And wow, is it creepy.

5 Likes
8 Likes

This isn’t a direct reply to your post; I merely hit the wrong “reply” button, lol.

11 Likes

Usual caveats to say I’ve had great make bosses and shitty female bosses. But still.

10 Likes

Thread:

11 Likes

Holy fuck, this is rage inducing…

It’s jezebel, so the website is glitchy as hell, etc.

7 Likes

h/t to the Brexit discussion here:

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2019/08/case-nightmare-blonde.html

5 Likes

Well, if it’s compulsory, I guess that’s just what has to be done.

4 Likes

Woah Nelly! That’s batshit crazy acting shit.

5 Likes

The article is good. WW is not.

How long have we been fighting dangerous body-image in kids? Long as I can remember.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I’m sort of confused about what this actual blow up in 2008 was.

I read Shakesville quite a bit for a while. As the article notes, basically up until Google Reader died. I’m not sure that I buy the echo chamber is necessarily the worst thing about Twitter vs. Reader/Blog Internet. I think it’s losing the ability to connect with long-form writing and dig deep into a topic. (Incidentally, I sort of think this article could have benefited from more synthesis of an overall narrative.)

Some of the things in that article are really problematic. How on Earth did that Paul guy think it was OK to ask a flat busted person for their last money? But I also agree with this:

One thing I’ve felt personally, and very keenly, is the long term grind down associated with being harassed. I hadn’t really followed Shakesville or McEwan in a good, long time now. But the extent to which people on Blog Internet were confronting the precursors to the battles we’re fighting on a much bigger and more public stage now is really shocking in retrospect. MRAs, incels, Nazis spent decades honing an internet rage machine, before turning it loose IRL. I have a hard time judging the early victims.

9 Likes

McEwan really got to the Enemies are Everywhere stage – IMHO she should have stepped off the stage and gone into self-care mode a lot sooner than she did. I stopped following her when I noticed she was even snapping at people who were agreeing with her.

I hope she has a chance to rest, heal, and get to a better place.

8 Likes
12 Likes