Not Feminism 101

11 Likes

If you click through to the game site and visit the About page, you can see a seven-minute playthrough of the game. And wow, is it creepy.

5 Likes
8 Likes

This isn’t a direct reply to your post; I merely hit the wrong “reply” button, lol.

11 Likes

Usual caveats to say I’ve had great make bosses and shitty female bosses. But still.

10 Likes

Thread:

11 Likes

Holy fuck, this is rage inducing…

It’s jezebel, so the website is glitchy as hell, etc.

7 Likes

h/t to the Brexit discussion here:

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2019/08/case-nightmare-blonde.html

5 Likes

Well, if it’s compulsory, I guess that’s just what has to be done.

4 Likes

Woah Nelly! That’s batshit crazy acting shit.

5 Likes

The article is good. WW is not.

How long have we been fighting dangerous body-image in kids? Long as I can remember.

6 Likes
7 Likes

I’m sort of confused about what this actual blow up in 2008 was.

I read Shakesville quite a bit for a while. As the article notes, basically up until Google Reader died. I’m not sure that I buy the echo chamber is necessarily the worst thing about Twitter vs. Reader/Blog Internet. I think it’s losing the ability to connect with long-form writing and dig deep into a topic. (Incidentally, I sort of think this article could have benefited from more synthesis of an overall narrative.)

Some of the things in that article are really problematic. How on Earth did that Paul guy think it was OK to ask a flat busted person for their last money? But I also agree with this:

One thing I’ve felt personally, and very keenly, is the long term grind down associated with being harassed. I hadn’t really followed Shakesville or McEwan in a good, long time now. But the extent to which people on Blog Internet were confronting the precursors to the battles we’re fighting on a much bigger and more public stage now is really shocking in retrospect. MRAs, incels, Nazis spent decades honing an internet rage machine, before turning it loose IRL. I have a hard time judging the early victims.

9 Likes

McEwan really got to the Enemies are Everywhere stage – IMHO she should have stepped off the stage and gone into self-care mode a lot sooner than she did. I stopped following her when I noticed she was even snapping at people who were agreeing with her.

I hope she has a chance to rest, heal, and get to a better place.

8 Likes
12 Likes

This I agree with. OTOH, we, too (and even at the other place) have rules that seemed to be mocked in the Outline piece.

We aren’t fans of ableist language, either. I fought to get “mental state” enshrined into this section of the BBBBS rules

Do not make assumptions as to anyone’s mental state, race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, group affiliation or sexual orientation without corroboration.

Because too many people were diagnosing violent people and/or members of the current administration as being mentally ill.

Not hard to do when the Internet has designated you as its chew toy. It sounds like she was at the “no good options” stage: leave, and the harassers claim victory, stay and, well…

What pisses me off is that she’s radioactive, and Bret Stephens is still employable.

8 Likes

True that. I really worry about this in academia. I have so many friends who are so paranoid, so angry. They lash out at trainees of people who hurt them. Where does all this hurt go, and how do we help people self-correct before they spin out?

7 Likes

It was considered a special effect. James Earl Jones talked about getting credit for Darth Vader, which was considered a special effect. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2008-03-30-0803280455-story.html

5 Likes

There was a time when women were used - and used - TV to advertise various things, including actual products. In an otherwise male-dominated flick, I find Dolores Gray refreshing in here over-the-top impression of Betty Furness, Jacqueline Susann, Faye Emerson, and all those other women who wanted to be taken seriously (?) as “Television Personalities” (I’m finding it difficult to take the latter two words of that sentence seriously). Anyhow…it’s MIDNIGHT WITH MADELINE, no matter what time it is where you are!

Her man is “Clifton Webb and Marlon Brando combined!”?
Oh dear…Webb was gay and lived with his mom (I read they resembled each other very closely); great actor, though, even though he was a fussy scene-stealer at times. Brando…um…well, all I can say is that the song lyrics are meant to reference their screen personas. Except maybe not Webb as Waldo Lydecker in “Laura”, lol.

And what are the merits of wearing what looks like a basic slim evening dress with a front left-leg slit having what appears to be a fur-trimmed tutu over it? WTF, did she have holster hips or something? They dress her like that in “The Opposite Sex” (1956), too, a year later. In any case, many movie fashions are designed with the fact in mind that they will be foisted upon female filmgoers. Oh, and the latter film is a musical remake (!) of that 1939 classic, “The Women”, with June Allyson (bleah) in the Norma Shearer role. (migawd Allyson’s forehead is Metalunan!)

But, they’re as feminist as they could get away with back then, along with “How to Marry a Millionaire” and “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” (both 1953). I’m just glad we aren’t required to wear spike heels everywhere any more.

6 Likes

The second item about the periods is what made me decide to post, but the whole thread is fascinating.

6 Likes